In Episode #195, Nathan speaks with Margaret Brown, the owner and publisher of Shelf Media a company that holds and manages a variety of free digital publications. Listen as Nathan and Margaret talk about the art of driving revenue from publishing, what it takes to turn a profit, and how digital publishing works.
- Favorite Book? – The Four Hour Work Week
- What CEO do you follow?— Alex Blumberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— BlinkPlan
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Embrace who you are and what you were meant to do.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:10 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:45 – Margaret breaks down Shelf Media
- 02:40 – Invested less than 10K to get started
- 03:45 – Acquiring the 1st 1,000 readers
- 04:24 – The primary thing that got them on the map was media coverage
- 04:54 – Throw a lot of spaghetti at the wall and something will stick
- 05:38 – Press Rush
- 07:09 – Subscriptions to all Shelf content is FREE
- 07:39 – You have to believe in your product
- 08:38 – The revenue model of Shelf Media
- 09:43 – $4k a month in to be profitable
- 10:17 – It takes a lot of failure to lead to success
- 12:55 – The rates for advertising with Shelf Unbound
- 13:50 — $20K per issue of Shelf Unbound (125K readership) in top-line revenue
- 15:19 – ShelfMediaGroup.com Margaret@ShelfMediaGroup.com
3 Key Points:
- Learn how to fail. Then learn how to fail faster.
- You don’t always need a ton of money per month to be profitable…just keep your overhead low.
- Embrace who you are—don’t fight it.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Press Rush – A media tool Margaret loves
- Alex Blumberg – CEO of Gimlet Media
- BlinkPlan – Margaret’s favorite online tool
- The Four Hour Work Week – Time Ferris’ book
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives