In Episode #147, Nathan speaks with Troy Dean, an online marketing speaker, coach, consultant, and podcaster. He specializes in helping businesses and entrepreneurs use the Internet to attract new customers. Listen as Nathan and Troy talk about his WordPress video user manuals and how he’s built a community of enthusiastic learners.
- Favorite Book?— Start With Why by Simon Sinek
- What CEO do you follow?— Gary Tramer from lead chat
- What is your favorite online tool?— Infusionsoft
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Very rarely
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:27 – Troy joins the show
- 02:20 – Troy sings the Cadberry jingle which he produced.
- 02:47 – Of his numerous specialties, Troy is also a professional voice actor.
- 03:47 – What is a “sonic brand trigger?”
- 04:09 – Nowadays Troy sells a business accelerator program for WordPress freelancers and consultants.
- 06:02 – Roughly 1,200 clients use Troy’s WordPress video tutorials which cost about 24$ a month.
- 06:51 – The video user manuals have generated about 25K in revenue in October.
- 07:13 – Surprisingly the churn rate is pretty low for Troy’s WordPress video user manuals.
- 08:04 – “Would you sell to WP Engine for 1 million?”
- 09:43 – In order to promote the community aspect of his business, Troy reopened his school with retakes (enrollment open for 7 days.)
- 10:11 – Currently 390 active members in the program who pay 97$ a month.
- 11:02 – Troy’s program has a remarkable retention rate.
- 11:18 – Troy explains his program’s timeline.
- 12:33 – For the past twelve months, the course has made about 500-600K.
- 13:47 – Troy’s spend 5K on Facebook ads for about 220 new customers.
- 15:18 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- It’s important when building a community that members are given plenty of chances to meet and interact with each other.
- A “sonic brand trigger” is an audio cue that makes a hearer think about a certain brand.
- Troy Dean thinks you should travel in your twenties.
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- WP Elevation – Troy’s WordPress tutorial website
- Troy Dean – Troy’s website.
- @troydean – Troy Dean’s twitter
- Start With Why – Troy’s favorite business book
- Infusionsoft – Troy’s favorite online tool
- Gary Tramer – CEO Troy follows
Troy Dean loves the internet. He helps savvy business owners and marketers use it to attract new customers. WP Elevation and Video User Manuals are two of his projects. Troy is also a professional voice-over artist.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives