In Episode #213, Nathan speaks with Ishveen Anand, the CEO of Open Sponsorship, a membership-based platform that connects brands with athletes looking for sponsors. Listen as Nathan asks Ishveen about the origins of the company, their latest round of funding, and life as one of Forbes 30 Under 30.
Ishveen is the founder and CEO OpenSponsorship, a two sided marketplace connecting brands to the worlds’ largest network of sponsorship opportunities in professional sports. Ishveen, a graduate of Oxford University, now living in New York is currently part of the 500 startups accelerator in San Francisco. She was included in the Forbes 30under30 sports list in 2015 and OpenSponsorship was named a finalist in the 2015 Sports Technology Awards.
- Favorite Book? – None
- What CEO do you follow?— Indra Nooyi
- What is your favorite online tool?— ReBump
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Ignorance is bliss
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:09 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:48 – Welcoming Ishveen to the show
- 01:59 – Talking Forbes 30 Under 30
- 02:24 – How Open Sponsorship makes money
- 03:12 – Money is made on the brand wanting to find the athlete side–$400/month so not a huge barrier to entry—and %5 on the athlete side
- 04:15 – The cash deals are not necessarily the most popular
- 05:15 – Started in August 2014
- 05:39 – 400 brands have already signed up
- 06:19 — $120K annual revenue in 2015
- 06:48 – Trying to be at $3M at end of year
- 07:39 – Customer Acquisition Cost is at $30
- 08:41 – Lifetime value of a customer is between $1200 and $2K
- 10:28 – Subscription minimum is 3 months
- 12:12 – The value proposition
- 14:50 — Ishveen Anand LinkedIn
3 Key Points:
- If your customer acquisition cost is lower than lifetime value, why are you hesitating on spending?
- Don’t let age hold you back, get started young!
- Know your value proposition like the back of your hand.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Listeners to this episode also listened to:
187 Whitson Gordon How Lifehacker Went from 1m to 10m Monthly Uniques Fast with Whitson Gordon
185 Shaan Puri Blab goal is 7% week over week growth. Here’s how the Founder will do it.
158 Taylor Peck How He Got 25m To Take a Political Quiz with Taylor Peck
154 Ida Tin From motorcycles to $10m Fertility App with 3m Monthly Users
150 Kelvin Lockwood Will he reach 1m MAU by Dec. 2016?
113 Bill Hankes 0 to 6% Market Share in 3 Months with Former Microsoft Bing Director
91 Brian Brushwood Do you make alot of money producing reality shows?
84 Bazi Hassan How to Spend $.05 Per Click and Make $2 On that Same Click with Bazi Hassan
72 Greg Rollett He Uses a $1400 Magazine Add to Drive $8700/mo in New Revenue Every Month
50 Sujan Patel See How Easily You Can Get Featured in Forbes, Inc, and Entrepreneur with Sujan Patel
38 Neil Patel How To Capture 1000+ Emails Per Day with Neil Patel (…and what he’s doing next)35 Jeff Bullas When A Blogger Has 70,000 Leads, What Do They Do To Make Money?
16 Jorday Gray Grabbing Impressions from Any Blog You Want Using This Phrase and Sex strategies