In Episode #164, Nathan speaks with Alex Blumberg, the host of StartUp and CEO and co-founder of Gimlet Media. Listen as Nathan and Alex talk about the Freedom Journal, a notebook designed for users to set and accomplish their goals effectively.
- Favorite Book?— Creativity Inc. – by Ed Catmull and Amy Wallace
- What CEO do you follow?— Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— Google Docs
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Be more patient.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:37 – Alex joins the show
- 01:49 – Gimlet is a digital media company that focuses primarily on audio.
- 02:27 – Alex and his team at Gimlet has raised 6 million for the business.
- 04:08 – His podcast StartUp generates revenue through ads.
- 06:05 – Alex estimates that his CPM on this podcast is higher than the average radio station.
- 06:28 – As podcasts as a medium mature, Alex expects them to grow in production value.
- 07:05 – Alex describes his 6-month process when creating a new podcast.
- 07:55 – It takes roughly 100K from start to finish when making the first episode.
- 09:18 – Alex’s old colleagues from his career in public radio have come to work at Gimlet.
- 10:40 – Each individual show produced by Gimlet Media generally has its own team.
- 13:22 – Alex uses SoundCloud to keep track of listeners for a particular audio.
- 14:39 – Advertising on podcasts is very straightforward and works well for Alex’s sponsors.
- 15:49 – Sponsors advertise in accordance to a contract with Alex’s podcasts.
- 17:09 – Alex makes over 1 million dollars per podcast.
- 19:16 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- As podcasts grow as a medium, expect to see an increase in production value and overall quality.
- Advertising on podcasts is extremely straightforward because sponsors can clearly evaluate how many people they’re reaching.
- For even seasoned veterans like Alex, creating a quality podcast can take a lot of time, money, and manpower (6 months, 100K, varied staff).
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- Gimlet Media – Alex’s business
- @abexlumberg – Alex’s twitter
- LinkedIn – Alex’s LinkedIn
- Creativity Inc. – Alex’s favorite book
- Mark Zuckerberg – CEO Alex follows
- Steve Jobs – CEO Alex follows
- Google Docs – Online tool John uses.
Alex Blumberg is the host of StartUp and CEO/co-founder of Gimlet Media. He’s also an award winning radio journalist. Prior to Gimlet, he was the producer of This American Life and the co-founder of planet money.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives