In Episode #208, Nathan speaks with Chris Guillebeau, a world traveler and writer who helps people get the kick start they need in life. Listen as Nathan asks Chris about the publishing industry’s trade secrets, and how he built a booming career in writing.
Chris travels the world and writes for a small army of remarkable people at chrisguillebeau.com. His new book, Born for This, will help you find the work you were meant to do.
- Favorite Book? – Mountains Beyond Mountains
- What CEO do you follow?— N/A
- What is your favorite online tool?— OmniFocus
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—You don’t need to have everything figured out, don’t be afraid.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:17 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:35 – How Chris makes money
- 02:30 – Chris is 37
- 02:38 – An entrepreneur is someone who will work 24 hours a day to avoid working 1 hour a day for someone else
- 03:15 – So many people are out there making a great living for themselves OUTSIDE of silicon valley
- 04:15 – The #1 thing you can do is create something of value
- 05:55 – Relationships are the key to success
- 07:12 – Make sure your book kills in the first few week
- 07:51 – Chris is published through Random House
- 09:24 – If you don’t love books, if you don’t love to read and if you don’t love to WRITE—do not become a writer
- 10:18 – Books account for 50% of Chris’ revenue
- 10:58 – Multiple six figures in royalty income via Chris’ books
- 12:34 – Converting email and social followers into sales
- 16:35 – Optimizing book orders depends on the stage of the publication process
- 17:50 – Cracking the Amazon Top 25 means selling a copy in a day
- 19:03 – ChrisGuillebeau.com
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be afraid of making a move, just go for it.
- If you’re going to become a writer, you had better LOVE writing.
- Relationships are the key to success.
Thousands listened to these episodes who also listened to Chris:
144 Yanik Silver: Book launch and $2m towards Impact with Yanik Silver
126 Bryan Kramer: How I wrote my first book in 4 days and sold 15,000 copies
116 Michael Port: Get $25k First Book Advance and Sell 500,000 Copies with Michael Port
107 Jason Zook: Did going through 3 dads make you more creative? With Jason Zook
82 Dorie Clark: Charge $10k/ speech and sell 30,000 Books with Dorie Clark
78 Peter Shankman: He’s used ADHD and smarts to sell his business, feed his cats