In Episode #192, Nathan speaks with Cathryn and Allen, the founders of The Best Self Co., a business dedicated to helping entrepreneurs think big, stay focused, and get more done. Listen as Nathan and the duo talk about using Shopify to grow their business and promoting on Kickstarter.
- Favorite Book? – The Four Hour Work Week
- What CEO do you follow?— Tim Ferriss
- What is your favorite online tool?— Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Get started as soon as you can doing what you want to do.
The BestSelf Co. started as a project between two entrepreneurs, Cathryn and Allen, who were on a journey to creating a life they loved, through building their respective businesses and being able to quit their day jobs.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:28 – Cathryn and Allen join the show.
- 01:40 – Bestself.co is a company dedicated to people to help them become the best version of themselves.
- 03:40 – Cathryn and Allen got the idea for the company when they started applying the principles of successful time management in their work lives and started seeing results.
- 04:20 – They did a Kickstarter to fund their first big batch of products.
- 05:44 – BestSelf Co. makes about 70% profit margins per product.
- 07:04 – Go to Bestself.co and use code “NATHAN” to get a 10% discount.
- 08:06 – The business uses Shopify because they have experience using it along being entered in a competition.
- 09:59 – BestSelf Co. creates their products with a framework in mind – so users can reach milestones day-to-day.
- 12:00 – Dear Top Tribe, tweet to @NathanLatka on Twitter about how you organize your daily notes.
- 13:16 – In the first couple weeks, BestSelf Co.’s generated roughly 16K in revenue.
- 15:03 – BestSelf’s concept started in May – since then they’ve gotten 19K email subscribers.
- 17:15 – BestSelf’s products are designed with principles of psychology and aesthetics to create a pleasant user experience.
- 18:26 – Host Gator: Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable
- 19:07 – Famous Five
- 21:46 – What’s Nathan doing after selling his business Heyo? Find out at com/whatsnext.
3 Key Points:
- You can use Shopify to help you sell things in your online store.
- BestSelf’s products combine aesthetics, productivity psychology, and various useful tools to increase the value of their planners and other products.
- Kickstarter is a great way to gauge interest in a business/product and to raise money. You can set milestones to further interact with your potential audience.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- co – Cathryn and Allen’s business. Use promo code ‘NATHAN’ to get 10% off.
- @bestselfco – Twitter
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Slack – Web tool used by Cathryn and Allen
- The Four Hour Work Week – Favorite book by the duo.
- Tim Ferriss – CEO the duo follows.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives