In Episode #135, Nathan speaks with Hampus Jakobsson, the founder of Brisk and Angel investor in over 45 different startups. Listen as Hampus and Nathan talk about the dawn of the mobile era, M & A, and what make’s Brisk unique as a business.
- Favorite Book?— Made to Stick and Switch (two different books)
- What CEO do you follow?— No
- What is your favorite online tool?— Tab Snooze
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Your weaknesses are your strengths and your strengths are you weaknesses
Time Stamped Show Notes:
01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
01:28 – Hampus joins the show
02:28 – The exit for TAT—The Astonishing Tribe
03:40 – Motorola, Sony, Samsung, Nokia
04:00 – 18 month sales cycles, for $1.5 million dollar contracts plus $3-4 million in implementation services
04:55 – Blackberry Acquiring TAT
05:26 – The Blackberry Playbook
07:20 – Getting acquired by Blackberry
07:54 – Acquisition price
08:25 – If you’re an entrepreneur—NEVER—low-ball next year’s revenue number
09:04 — $150 million in cash from Blackberry and then a cash-based retention to sign-on with Blackberry
09:45 – Why Hampus left Blackberry
12:30 – Know everything about your clients
13:00 – Hampus has put $2.5 million into startups
14:15 – Brisk’s revenue for October 2015
11:23 — Famous Five
14:30 – B2C to B strategy
15:35 – Brisk’s product pricing
16:15 – The headache of professional services
18:20 – How Brisk broke into Hootsuite
18:52 – @HAJAK
19:50 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Find a place to work where you don’t know stuff—it’ll keep you interested.
- If you’re an entrepreneur, always UPSELL next year’s revenue number.
- Embrace your weaknesses, because they’re actually your strengths.
- Hey Top Tribe!—In case you missed yesterday’s episode (#134), check it out here!
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- Mike Lazaridis – The Blackberry genius who brought Hampus to the BB team
- Made to Stick and Switch – Hampus’ two favorite business books
- Tab Snooze – Turns open tabs into to-do lists
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Founder Brisk sales process acceleration tool (customers such as Hootsuite, Intercom, Evernote). Angel investor in 45 startups.
- 20102012 M&A director for Blackberry
- 20022010 Founder of TAT (acquired by Blackberry for $150 in 2010), customers such as Google, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung