In Episode #199, Nathan speaks with Mohit Aron, CEO of Cohesity, a company that caters exclusively to the secondary data storage market. Listen as Nathan ask Mohit about his journey up and through Google (including his decision to leave), his trial and error experiment in entrepreneurship, and how he came to create Cohesity.
- Favorite Book? – Crossing the Chasm
- What CEO do you follow?— Steve Jobs
- What is your favorite online tool?— Evernote
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Trust your gut
Cohesity was founded in June 2013 by CEO Mohit Aron, who is regarded as the pioneer of hyperconvergence, the first architecture to converge compute and storage to simplify virtualization. Aron founded the infrastructure company Nutanix to bring hyperconvergence to market and served as its CTO before leaving to build Cohesity. Aron worked as a Staff Engineer at Google from 2003 to 2007, where he helped design the company’s innovative Google File System. He also served as Architect at AsterData, a leading big data analytics company that was later acquired by Teradata. Mohit holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Rice University.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:08 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:00 – Nathan welcomes Mohit to the show
- 02:22 – Why Mohit left Google?—life was too comfortable
- 03:30 – What Mohit gave up to leave Google—north of $500K
- 04:09 – You can’t make a big difference when you’re working inside a juggernaut
- 05:27 – Don’t make a decision purely on the money—look at all the elements in the equation
- 07:00 – “The Cliff”
- 07:40 – AsterData sold to Teradata for nearly $323 million
- 08:40 – Founding Nutanix and hyper-convergence
- 10:04 – Network speeds have only grown by 10K in the last 15 years, whereas disk speeds have grown by 1000x
- 11:02 – Once Mohit leaves a company, he cuts ALL ties
- 11:59 – Crossing the chasm
- 13:40 – Talking about Cohesity
- 13:55 – Mohit originally bootstrapped but ended up being funded by Sequoia
- 16:28 – Alpha phase v. Beta phase
- 17:45 — Aron@cohesity.com
3 Key Points:
- Don’t get too comfortable—ever.
- Trust your instincts.
- Once you’ve “crossed the chasm” it’s time to find a new challenge.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Crossing the Chasm – Mohit’s favorite book
- Steve Jobs – The CEO Mohit adores
- Evernote – The online tool Mohit can’t live without
- AsterData – One of the companies Mohit worked with after Google
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives