In Episode #212, Nathan speaks with Ashu Dubey, Co-Founder of Get Applause, an app designed to help people lose weight and get back in shape. Listen as Nathan grills Ashu about the valuation of his business, how he was able to court Marc Benioff, and why an $8M offer wouldn’t be enough for him to sell right now.
is a product guy, hacker and data scientist rolled into one. He is the cofounder of 12 Labs’ Applause a data science powered weight loss application. During his undergrad, Ashu launched a successful nonprofit Fast Forward India to help underprivileged kids gain computer literacy.
- Favorite Book? – Pitch Anything
- What CEO do you follow?— Jack Dorsey
- What is your favorite online tool?— SideKick by Hubspot
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Start one more company.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:06 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:32 – Welcoming Ashu to the show
- 01:48 – How Ashu makes money
- 02:40 – Volume, downloads, and how they’re making money
- 03:03 – Active users are defined as someone who takes an action with a month
- 03:29 – Nathan quizzes Ashu on the meaning of “Retention”
- 04:55 – Raising money, and keeping the lights on via a priced round
- 06:25 – The leadership team at Applause
- 07:50 – Why Ashu feels an $8M valuation is small
- 08:40 – Optimize for the long term
- 09:50 – Execution risk
- 11:03 – The data points used for valuation
- 12:53 – Courting Marc Benioff
- 13:30 – Ashu’s Twitter Handle
3 Key Points:
- Understand how you’re going to make money—if you don’t, you’re done before you get started.
- Optimize your businesses for the long-term.
- Clearly understand your execution risk.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Sidekick – The online tool Ashu can’t live without
- Pitch Anything – Ashu’s favorite business book
- Jack Dorsey – The CEO Ashu follows
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Listeners of this episode also listened to:
187 Whitson Gordon How Lifehacker Went from 1m to 10m Monthly Uniques Fast with Whitson Gordon
185 Shaan Puri Blab goal is 7% week over week growth. Here’s how the Founder will do it.
158 Taylor Peck How He Got 25m To Take a Political Quiz with Taylor Peck
154 Ida Tin From motorcycles to $10m Fertility App with 3m Monthly Users
150 Kelvin Lockwood Will he reach 1m MAU by Dec. 2016?
113 Bill Hankes 0 to 6% Market Share in 3 Months with Former Microsoft Bing Director
91 Brian Brushwood Do you make alot of money producing reality shows?
84 Bazi Hassan How to Spend $.05 Per Click and Make $2 On that Same Click with Bazi Hassan
72 Greg Rollett He Uses a $1400 Magazine Add to Drive $8700/mo in New Revenue Every Month
50 Sujan Patel See How Easily You Can Get Featured in Forbes, Inc, and Entrepreneur with Sujan Patel
38 Neil Patel How To Capture 1000+ Emails Per Day with Neil Patel (…and what he’s doing next)35 Jeff Bullas When A Blogger Has 70,000 Leads, What Do They Do To Make Money?
16 Jorday Gray Grabbing Impressions from Any Blog You Want Using This Phrase and Sex strategies