In Episode #151, Nathan speaks with Evi Meyer, the co-founder and CEO of uMake. In the past, he led design and product management at AutoDesk’s Autocad mobile project. Listen as Jay and Evi talk about how the latter left his job as a project manager in Israel to develop uMake, a 3-D sketching app for mobile platforms.
- Favorite Book?— N/A Evi learns from his life.
- What CEO do you follow?— Aaron Levie
- What is your favorite online tool?— Trello
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No.
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Be confident. Be who you are and do what you want to do.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:26 – Evi joins the show
- 01:54 – Evi worked on Autocad mobile which is one of the most successful apps available today.
- 02:10 – uMake is based in both Tel Aviv for engineering and San Francisco for marketing and business.
- 03:04 – Evi’s team left Autodesk in order to dive into the 3D design market.
- 03:33 – uMake is the first 3-D sketching app on mobile platform.
- 04:11 – Founded in April 2014.
- 04:25 – The founders invested not only their savings in the project but also less palpable resources.
- 05:50 – On day one, the business had 80K, which converts to 240K Israeli sheqels.
- 07:11 – Evi made roughly 97K a year as a project manager in Israel.
- 08:13 – uMake raised 5.2 million in funding (equity) just recently.
- 08:32 – uMake was part of an Israeli startup accelerator, and Brian McClendon was one of the first to invest in it.
- 09:35 – Good investors are interested in what you’re doing and can support you.
- 11:50 – There are currently hundreds of people using uMake.
- 12:50 – To create a sustainable business on the app store, the product has to generate value for a user every day.
- 14:50 – The churn rate is difficult to determine because the app’s been on the store for only about a month.
- 15:40 – Average revenue per user per month is roughly 13-14$.
- 16:59 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- One of the first of its kind, uMake is a 3D sketch tool for mobile devices used by professionals and hobbyists alike.
- Good investors not only fund your project but care about the work you do and can support you in other ways like connections and relevant experience.
- In order to create a sustainable business based on an app, a product has to generate value for a user every day.
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- LinkedIn – Evie Meyer’s LinkedIn
- CrunchBase – Evie Meyer’s Crunch Base
- uMake – Evie’s 3-D sketching tool for mobile devices.
- Aaron Levie – CEO Jay keeps up with
- Trello – Evi’s favorite online tool
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Evie Meyer is the co-founder and CEO of uMake, a 3D sketch app for mobile devices. In the past, he led design and product management at AutoDesk’s Autocad mobile project. uMake is based simultaneously in Tel Aviv and San Francisco.