In Episode #205, Nathan speaks with Andrea Loubier, the CEO of Mailbird, a company that is revolutionizing the way online communication is conducted through email reform. Tune-in to hear Andrea talk about abandoning her humdrum corporate life for her exciting entrepreneurial venture based in Silicon Bali.
- Favorite Book? – The Hard Thing About Hard Things
- What CEO do you follow?— Ryan Hoover
- What is your favorite online tool?— Mailbird
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Find what makes you happy, find a way to help the world, and find something that you want to leave behind.
Andrea Loubier is a travel addict, who is obsessed with spicy food, third culture kid who is crazy passionate about improving the unification of online communication…starting with email. As the CEO of Mailbird and one of Southeast Asia leading female thought leaders, Andrea is taking on Outlook from Silicon Bali.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:12 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:39 – Welcoming Andrea to the show
- 01:54 – Building the business in Bali
- 02:03 – Mailbird is a Swiss-Army knife for email
- 02:50 – Just hit 1M mailboxes managed
- 03:14 – Close to $500K in AR
- 03:44 – They’ve hit on a solid model
- 05:09 – The Flash-sale pricing structure
- 05:55 – After the banner—20% conversion
- 06:45 – Before the banner—10% conversion
- 07:15 – Mailbird has been around since 2012
- 07:39 – Breakdown between one-time payers and subscribers?—50/50
- 08:53 – Does the lifetime subscription leave money on the table?
- 10:00 – Looking at retention numbers
- 10:24 – Monthly retention is the most important figure
- 11:07 – Very, very high churn w/ Mailbird, as a result, they need a high-acquisition model
- 12:04 – Ideally in SaaS, you want churn at 5%
- 13:00 – The 1st $100K was bootstrapped—now looking for $10M in Series A
- 15:35 – AngelList has an awesome valuation tool
- 16:00 – Team of 12 people, full-time
- 17:36 – AL@GetMailBird.com
3 Key Points:
- Don’t necessarily be afraid of high churn.
- Understand what you want your legacy to be and make sure it benefits the world.
- Think about building a business overseas—America isn’t always the best place.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Mailbird J – The online tool Andrea can’t live without
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things – Andrea’s favorite business book
- Ryan Hoover – The CEO Andrea closely follows
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
If you liked this episode, you’ll also like these episodes focused on SaaS companies where the CEO’s discuss revenue, ARPU, CAC, LTV and more. Go ahead and pick one now:
**FEATURED: 117 Ankur Nagpal He made $2m at 21 then quit for Teachable, worth $30m?
205 Andrea Loubier She’s Built a $500k/year Company in Bali Looking for $8m Pre-Money Valuation with Andrea Loubier of MailBird (Coming soon on iTunes here)
203 Ben Fisher Getting Your First $10k/mo In Revenue with Ben Fisher of CartHook.com (Coming soon on iTunes here)
201 Matt Berman The Art of Your First 120 Customers With Matt Berman of Sonar
200 Olivier Pailhes Would You Sell for $6m Today? No. With Olivier Pailhes of Aircall.io
193 Jared Fuller How PandaDoc Will Hit $10m ARR This Year
190 Matt Smith How Latergram.me Grew to $50k/mo, 500,000 users, $1.2m Raised
186 Josh Reeves He’s 32 and raised $136m in Funding But It’s About More Than That
173 Jason Coleman He plans to be #1 WordPress Membership Plugin by 2017
172 Matthew Bellows Yesware 2016 Goal? $30m Annual Run Rate with CEO Matthew Bellows
170 Landon Ray Would you sell Ontraport to Oracle for $100m today?
169 Laura Roeder From InfoProduct to $2.2m SaaS Business With 11 Month Old
156 Jonathon Ende From 0 to $2m SaaS Company in 2 Years with Seamless Docs Jonathan Ende
151 Evi Meyer Quit $100k job, raised $5.2m, will people pay $150/yr for iphone App?
148 Jay Bean From $250k+ Salary, to 4 years making nothing, to $30m+ Payday in SMB World with Jay Bean
143 Pam O’Hara $1000 worst CAC, $42 RPU, and around 10,000 paying customers with BatchBook
137 Russell Brunson We just turned down a $35m acq. offer
127 Neylan McBaine She Buried $10k Under a Rose Bush and will do $1m+ in 2016
125 Gautam Tambay Will He Take Down Udemy? $100k/mo Already with Gautam Tambay
124 Derek Bluford He’s 28 and said no to a $14m buy out offer – crazy?
118 Aaron Ross 12 Kids, Took Salesforce to $100m ARR, 50,000 Books Sold
110 Anurag Agarwal He gave up a $1m wall street salary for nature with Anurag Agarwal
105 David Abrams He did $35k in October and is buildling to sell with David Abrams
103 Dean Levitt How MadMimi Does $500k/mo in Revenue and Sold to GoDaddy with Dean Levitt
93 Ajay Prasad I offered him $2m for his business on the podcast
79 Brad Martineau His Brother Fired him from infusionsoft, he’ll do $3.1m this year from $12k per person events
73 Jim Fowler Salesforce bought his company for $175m in 2010, What’s he doing now?
70 Armando Biondi He’s built on Facebook with a $100 ARPU, $1000 LTV and a $1.8m run rate
68 Zvi Band 4% churn, $1500 LTV, and $700k+ per month in revenue with Contactually Founder Zvi Band
65 Sean Cohen “Is Aweber Going Being Acquired?” with Sean Cohen
56 Cam Doody This 30 Year Old Makes $450k/WEEK From This Small Tennessee Town? With Cam Doody
53 Robert Caruso Nathan: “Will you sue Hootsuite?” “Yes!” with Robert Caruso
40 Chad Newell How to Mini-IPO your SaaS Business without IPOing and with $40k+/mo in MRR
39 Crystal Huang She Does $171k/mo and is CRUSHING Most Men In The Startup Space with Crystal Huang
33 Alex Moore How HD TV Negotiator Launches $3.5m ARR Email Productivity SaaS Company (and keeps it secret!) With Alex Moore
32 Anthony Zang He pays college students $3 to build business for him with Anthony Zang
28 Hiten Shah $10.8m Raised with KissMetrics VS. Self Funded CrazyEgg with SaaS King Hiten Shah
14 Sean Wycliffe How affiliates and movie theaters built this $240k/mo business
3 Peter Shallard From $0 to $37k/mo with Peter Shallard from CommitAction.com