In Episode #179, Nathan speaks with Aaron Fifield, the host of the podcast Chat with Traders. Listen as Nathan and Aaron talk about trading and what makes a podcast attractive to listeners.
- Favorite Book?- Rich Dad Poor Dad and The 48 Laws of Power
- What CEO do you follow?— com
- What is your favorite online tool?— Trello and Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No, but he keeps in mind that ‘the morning starts the night before.’
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Start trading early. Don’t start a purely service based business. Get into the habit of outsourcing more.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:22 – Aaron joins the show.
- 02:05 – Aaron made his first thousand dollars when he started his graphics and web design company.
- 03:32 – Chat with Traders began with Aaron’s desire to spend more time with traders.
- 05:30 – Movies make trading look more glamorous than it really is.
- 06:35 – Aaron’s main revenue stream comes from his podcast Chat with Traders which hasn’t been monetized – only publicized.
- 07:20 – Chat with Traders started about a year ago and releases once a week. They reached about 90K downloads in a recent month and have about 627K cumulative downloads.
- 07:57 – Featuring prolific or famous guests attract listeners to the podcast, but convincing them to come on air requires perseverance.
- 08:26 – Being active on a couple social media platforms and being consistent with publishing schedule are also important to getting listeners.
- 10:08 – Aaron gives an example pitch to direct listeners to his podcast.
- 10:33 – Chat with Traders has 5,800 subscribers, Aaron’s focus is growing the list through 2016.
- 10:58 – Aaron makes some revenue from graphics and web design. He makes a couple hundred bucks from his podcast per month.
- 13:31 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Before monetizing a product or service, often times it’s beneficial to grow your list and become better known.
- Qualities that attract listeners to a podcast are the inclusion of well-known guests, consistency, and being active on social media platforms.
- If you want to be something, spend your time around people who already are. To be an engineer, spend time with engineers.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- @chatwithtraders – Aaron’s Twitter
- LinkedIn – Aaron Fifield
- Chat With Traders – Aaron’s podcast
- Trello and Slack – Aaron’s favorite online tools
- com – Website Aaron keeps up with.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad and The 48 Laws of Power – Aaron’s favorite business books
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Aaron Fifield is the host of Chat with Traders a podcast focusing on weekly interviews with profitable traders. He also runs his own graphics and web design company.