In Episode #219, Nathan speaks with Fehzan Ali, Co-Founder & CEO at Adscend Media LLC, home of award-winning offer walls, and advertising solutions for mobile app and web publishers. Listen as Nathan quizzes Fehzan on the Adscend revenue model, and inquires about the future of the adwall business.
- Favorite Book? – The Hard Thing About Hard Things
- What CEO do you follow?— No
- What is your favorite online tool?— Google Docs
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Sales is critical and I wish I knew more about it early on
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:06 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:35 – Welcoming Fehzan to the show
- 02:12 – Focusing on the user increases profitability
- 02:25 – Measuring interest from publishers and advertisers
- 02:45 – Doing $100K a month in advert spend
- 03:12 – Only paid for app installs or actions
- 04:05 – How Adscend makes money?—Take 30% of the spend received
- 04:52 – Breaking down the spend
- 07:20 – Founded company in 2009, been in rewarding space for 10 years
- 07:39 – Fehzan is ONLY 26!
- 09:50 – Keeping 30% of $13M
- 10:25 – User engagement with the offer wall
- 11:18 – 95% of revenue is mobile
- 11:31 – Based in Austin, TX
- 12:25 – bootstrapped with $10K
- 12:35 – Most profits have been reinvested
- 13:08 – Fehzan@AdscendMedia.com
- 13:30 – Ashu’s Twitter Handle
3 Key Points:
- Reinvest your profits if you want to grow.
- Practice and refine your sales pitch.
- Don’t balk at bootstrapping a business just because you don’t have a lot startup capital.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin Cole