In Episode # 220, Nathan welcomes Jason van den Brand, owner of Lenda, to the podcast. Lenda is a financial services company that lets people refinance their mortgages with greater ease. Listen as Jason shares his company’s astounding start and explains how Lenda is removing the financial middlemen to give their clients more value.
- Favorite Book? – Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business (Nathan uses Audible to listen to books on the road)
- What CEO do you follow?— Elon Musk
- What is your favorite online tool?—Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? —At the end of the day, it’s all about the network so don’t worry so much about your GPA. Go and meet more people.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:30 – Nathan welcomes Jason van den Brand
- 02:20 – Jason’s take on the Quicken Loans Controversy
- 03:34 – About Lenda
- 03:45 – If you go online today, your mortgage is going to end up looking like a big giant stack of paperwork
- 05:10 – “We are an automated underwriting process so we’re predicting what kind of documentation you’re going to need to qualify for the home loan.”
- 06:28 – Loan servicers
- 07:04 – Wells Fargo
- 07:34 – Loans split up after they transmit it
- 09:27 – We are moving toward servicing our own loans, “Momentum is King! (Click here to grab the exclusive shirt – only 10 available!)
- 10:28 – Currently raised about $3.8M
- 11:02 – Warehouse Line of Credit
- 11:20 – We hold our loans for 6-7 days before they get sold off to the final investor who will actually service the loan
- 11:56 – $25M pipeline
- 13:36 – Almost $70M loans passed from October 2013 to January 2016
- 13:50 – How much money Lenda made in 2015 and how did you do it? -$500,000 – we make a margin on the loan amount
- 15:39 – Because we’re building technology, we don’t have loan officers in our model
- 16:50 – Continuously practice vertical integration
- 19:50 – This business model is going to work because it eliminates middle men, and when you do that, you eliminate costs
- 21:05 –@vandenTweet
3 Key Points:
- The mortgage industry as it exists today is a dinosaur.
- When you use technology to replace middlemen or redundant people you cut costs dramatically—that savings can be passed back the consumer.
- We can make this business model and completely remove all the middle men in the transaction
- Audible – Nathan and Jason use Audible to listen to books while they drive, fly, and workout.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Lenda – Jason’s company
- Wells Fargo – a loan servicer Jason mentioned
- Warehouse Line of Credit – the credit line Lenda is using
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin C