In Episode # 221, Nathan interviews Ray Edwards, a best-selling author and a copywriting coach. Listen as Nathan asks Ray about books, the mechanics of publishing, how he was able to sell a thousand copies before getting promoted, and how affiliation works.
- Favorite Business Book? –The Biography of John Adams
- What CEO do you follow?— Peter Diamandis
- What is your favorite online tool?—Evernote
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Don’t do credit cards, invest your money, spend less than you earn, take better care of your body…most of the stuff you worry about in your 20s you won’t even remember so lighten up.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:17 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:54 – Nathan welcomes Ray
- 02:07 – Writing Riches
- 02:42 – Ray’s revenue stream
- 03:00 – How to Write Copy that Sells
- 05:30 – It’s relatively easy to get published compared to how hard it is to write
- 06:03 – Mechanics of publishing Ray’s book with Morgan James
- 07:50 – Business books should be positioning pieces to win clients
- 08:27 – As a result of having written the book, I can attribute directly or indirectly at least $.5M in revenue
- 09:07 – The goal with this one (How to Write Copy that Sells) is to sell a lot more books
- 10:02 – We’re looking for list placement in the book list
- 10:36 – How did you get the first thousand sales? – Just from my email list
- 11:11 – How big is your email list? –It was about 37,000 people
- 11:28 – We went through this whole campaign, for about 2 weeks, basically driving people off the list. Now we are about 17 to 18,000
- 11:55 – Lining up affiliates for the book
- 12:45 – How did you do the $400,000 in one month? –We sold to our own list and we had affiliates to promote the course on their list
- 13:42 – I am the most expensive direct response copy writer in the internet
- 14:17 – Sometimes people forget that they need to pay you royalties and you start chasing them
- 14:45 – Making the Call to Action effective
- 15:08 – What would you headline this podcast to maximize downloads? –Magic Words that Make You Rich
- 15:25 – rayedwards.com
3 Key Points:
- Writing something that people want to ready is a lot harder than getting published.
- If you’re working on a royalties payment scheme find a way to automate it so you’re not chasing down payments.
- Life is short—lighten up.
- Writing Riches – book authored by Ray
- How to Write Copy that Sells –the updated version of Writing Riches
- Morgan James –the publisher that published Ray’s two books
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin C