In Episode #222, Nathan welcomes Michael Perry, owner of Kit, an online marketing software that lets people connect eCommerce sites to different social media platforms. Listen as Nathan and Michael talk about how they started their respective businesses, how they’re using Facebook to target clients today, and why Kit should be so attractive to entrepreneurs.
- Favorite Book? – Search Inside Yourself
- What CEO do you follow?— Mark Zuckerburg
- What is your favorite online tool?— Clara
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Nothing f****** matters
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:15 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:43 – Welcoming Michael to the show
- 01:47 – Defining small business survivalist
- 02:20 – How Michael currently makes money
- 02:23 – The idea for Kit
- 03:37 – How Kit started and how many clients currently working with it
- 04:32 – No one wants to invest in technology for SMB—But they should!
- 05:20 – “We didn’t want to be an agency, we wanted to become a software company and create a digital person that can work for SMB owners 24/7”
- 06:16 – Right now, Kit has about 2000 paying customers
- 08:22 – People have this misguided notion that everything on the internet should be free—this is simply not the case
- 09:03 – Acquisition cost per customer is at $21 via Facebook
- 11:26 – Kit is not a non-profit—it’s all about revenue
- 11:48 – What revenue number would you love to hit in 2016? -$150,000-$200,000 MRR
- 12:19 – Hitting those metrics is not an option
- 13:26 – 99% of the time it’s the people behind the business that make the business GREAT
- 13:34 – It’s better to have a good team than a good idea
- 15:05 – @MichaelPerry Michael@kitcrm.com
3 Key Points:
- SMB business owners would be wise to invest in technology early—the long-term gains outweigh the upfront expense.
- Just because something is on the internet, doesn’t mean that it should be free.
- It’s your team—not your ideas, not your products—that make your business great.
- Host Gator – The website Nathan used to buy nathanlatka.com and other domain names and hosting.
- Kit –an online marketing assistance
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
**FEATURED: 117 Ankur Nagpal He made $2m at 21 then quit for Teachable, worth $30m?
205 Andrea Loubier She’s Built a $500k/year Company in Bali Looking for $8m Pre-Money Valuation with Andrea Loubier of MailBird (Coming soon on iTunes here)
203 Ben Fisher Getting Your First $10k/mo In Revenue with Ben Fisher of CartHook.com (Coming soon on iTunes here)
201 Matt Berman The Art of Your First 120 Customers With Matt Berman of Sonar
200 Olivier Pailhes Would You Sell for $6m Today? No. With Olivier Pailhes of Aircall.io
193 Jared Fuller How PandaDoc Will Hit $10m ARR This Year
190 Matt Smith How Latergram.me Grew to $50k/mo, 500,000 users, $1.2m Raised
186 Josh Reeves He’s 32 and raised $136m in Funding But It’s About More Than That
173 Jason Coleman He plans to be #1 WordPress Membership Plugin by 2017
172 Matthew Bellows Yesware 2016 Goal? $30m Annual Run Rate with CEO Matthew Bellows
170 Landon Ray Would you sell Ontraport to Oracle for $100m today?
169 Laura Roeder From InfoProduct to $2.2m SaaS Business With 11 Month Old
156 Jonathon Ende From 0 to $2m SaaS Company in 2 Years with Seamless Docs Jonathan Ende
151 Evi Meyer Quit $100k job, raised $5.2m, will people pay $150/yr for iphone App?
148 Jay Bean From $250k+ Salary, to 4 years making nothing, to $30m+ Payday in SMB World with Jay Bean
143 Pam O’Hara $1000 worst CAC, $42 RPU, and around 10,000 paying customers with BatchBook
137 Russell Brunson We just turned down a $35m acq. offer
127 Neylan McBaine She Buried $10k Under a Rose Bush and will do $1m+ in 2016
125 Gautam Tambay Will He Take Down Udemy? $100k/mo Already with Gautam Tambay
124 Derek Bluford He’s 28 and said no to a $14m buy out offer – crazy?
118 Aaron Ross 12 Kids, Took Salesforce to $100m ARR, 50,000 Books Sold
110 Anurag Agarwal He gave up a $1m wall street salary for nature with Anurag Agarwal
105 David Abrams He did $35k in October and is buildling to sell with David Abrams
103 Dean Levitt How MadMimi Does $500k/mo in Revenue and Sold to GoDaddy with Dean Levitt
93 Ajay Prasad I offered him $2m for his business on the podcast
79 Brad Martineau His Brother Fired him from infusionsoft, he’ll do $3.1m this year from $12k per person events
73 Jim Fowler Salesforce bought his company for $175m in 2010, What’s he doing now?
70 Armando Biondi He’s built on Facebook with a $100 ARPU, $1000 LTV and a $1.8m run rate
68 Zvi Band 4% churn, $1500 LTV, and $700k+ per month in revenue with Contactually Founder Zvi Band
65 Sean Cohen “Is Aweber Going Being Acquired?” with Sean Cohen
56 Cam Doody This 30 Year Old Makes $450k/WEEK From This Small Tennessee Town? With Cam Doody
53 Robert Caruso Nathan: “Will you sue Hootsuite?” “Yes!” with Robert Caruso
40 Chad Newell How to Mini-IPO your SaaS Business without IPOing and with $40k+/mo in MRR
39 Crystal Huang She Does $171k/mo and is CRUSHING Most Men In The Startup Space with Crystal Huang
33 Alex Moore How HD TV Negotiator Launches $3.5m ARR Email Productivity SaaS Company (and keeps it secret!) With Alex Moore
32 Anthony Zang He pays college students $3 to build business for him with Anthony Zang
28 Hiten Shah $10.8m Raised with KissMetrics VS. Self Funded CrazyEgg with SaaS King Hiten Shah
14 Sean Wycliffe How affiliates and movie theaters built this $240k/mo business
3 Peter Shallard From $0 to $37k/mo with Peter Shallard from CommitAction.com