In Episode # 224, Nathan interviews Mickey Meyer, a digital media producer and the co-founder of JashNetwork, a multi-tiered digital media studio. Listen as Nathan quizzes Mickey on his role as a producer, and how he makes money as a digital media producer.
- Favorite Creative/Production Book? – The book he’s currently writing which is The Television
- What CEO do you follow?— Ted Sarandos
- What is your favorite online tool?—Final Cut
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Have fun
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:10 – Nathan welcomes Mickey
- 03:05 – Mickey walks us through Epic Rap Battle
- 04:28 – 13M-17M Youtube subscribers with billion views per video
- 05:21 – Mickey talks about his job in production
- 05:27 – Think first and foremost, about consistency
- 06:33 – If you can build those long standing relationship with your audience, it gives them something to look forward to
- 07:42 – The Top production secret
- 08:53 – Content is king
- 09:35 – Look for something that will stand out, something that people can latch on to
- 10:06 – You want to make sure that you do have vibrant colors
- 10:40 – Production for Jash’s
- 12:10 – Getting users to longer session times
- 14:04 – Start focusing more on narrative, long-form content
- 14:59 – Doing what people are searching all the time and not just trends
- 15:37 – Our strategy is more in line with the overall entertainment industry
- 16:50 – Make money in a lot of different ways
- 21:45 – Paying someone to distribute a video (on a Youtube channel)
- 22:00 – It is a very intimate relationship on that channel with that audience
- 26:52 – Mickey’s instagram
3 Key Points:
- Consistency is king in the world of content.
- For years, the emphasis has been on short-form content—that trend is reversing.
- Speaking of trends—do not pigeonhole yourself by keeping your content trend-centric—find a way to engage with people’s interests long-term.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable
- Epic Rap Battle – An online media platform Mickey helps to produce
- Mallard Creatives – Provider of Shownotes
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin C