In Episode #226, Nathan welcomes Brandon Bruce to The Top. Brandon is the co-founder and CEO of Cirrus Insight, a plug-in app for Gmail and Outlook that tracks emails, schedules meetings, and updates sales figures automatically. Listen as Brandon takes The Top audience into the intricacies of his business, and shares how he “worked-backwards” from the perspective of the end-user to build a winning brand.
- Favorite Book? – Good Strategy, Bad Strategy
- What CEO do you follow?— N/A
- What is your favorite online tool?— Assistant.to
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Start a company as soon as possible
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:33 – Nathan welcomes Brandon
- 01:57 – Cirrus Insight’s revenues for 2015 – $6.5M ARR (Annual Recurring Revenue)
- 02:28 – What Cirrus Insight does
- 02:57 – It was really built for ourselves – we found ourselves constantly switching between Gmail and Salesforce
- 03:55 – The secret of ranking so well in the Salesforce app exchange? Positioning and designing the brand as an end-user based application
- 04:48 – Huge benefits can be drawn from the volume of users as well as the volume of reviews
- 07:30 – MRR was $640,000
- 09:39 – Net negative churn
- 11:39 – Best spend was on events and partner marketing
- 14:07 – We try our best to stay really close to the customer and make sure we’re providing value everyday
- 16:16 – Focus on the Google market
- 16:45 – @CirrusInsight and (Brandon kindly offered any listeners a $25 Amazon Gift card for anyone who starts a Cirrus Insight trial through this link, enjoy!)
3 Key Points:
- Your company, product, etc. needs to be engineered from the perspective of the end-user.
- Stay close to your customers—provide value EVERY day.
- Events and partner marketing are a great way to spend your marketing dollars.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Brandon kindly offered any listeners a $25 Amazon Gift card for anyone who starts a Cirrus Insight trial through this link, enjoy!
- Gmail – google-owned web-based email service
- Outlook – a free personal email service from Microsoft
- Salesforce – an enterprise cloud that provides CRM software solutions
- Mallard Creatives – Provider of Show Notes