In Episode #230, Nathan speaks with Nils Mattisson, CEO of Minut, a company that designs tools to help homeowners monitor their homes. Listen as Nathan grills Nils on the basis of Minut’s product pricing, their investment sources, and the likelihood of Minut taking off in the consumer hardware market.
- Favorite Book? –The Innovator’s Dilemma
- What CEO do you follow?— None
- What is your favorite online tool?—Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Always take the leap, no matter the fear.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:03 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:09 – Welcoming Nils to the show
- 01:25 – Nils role at Apple
- 02:05 – Working on the original iPhone
- 03:53 – What Minut does
- 05:43 – How the Minut algorithm works
- 07:19 – Finding success on Kickstarter
- 08:20 – The costs of production for Minut
- 08:45 – In consumer hardware, prices drop rapidly as products take off—sell for 4x production cost
- 10:31 – How are new buyers finding the product
- 10:44 – Pre-sold 4K products, now delivering
- 11:21 – Eight team members
- 11:30 – Backed by a variety of investors
- 13:27 – Raised nearly $500K thus far
- 14:53 – Nils@Minut.com
- 16:14 – Famous 5
3 Key Points:
- Be courageous—make the leap of faith.
- Just because you work for a kick-ass company (like Apple), doesn’t mean you need to stay there.
- If you want to get into consumer goods, Kickstarter is GREAT way to test the market.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Minut – Nils’ company
- Mallard Creatives – Provider of Show Notes
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin C