In Episode #241 Nathan interviews Erik Gatenholm, founder and president of Cellink, the world’s first bio-ink company. Erik started his own biotech business at age 18, and at 25 exited for more than $250k (SEK, Swedish currency). Listen as Erik and Nathan talk biotech, getting investors on board, and why Erik went back to college after his first business.
- Favorite Book? – No Logo
- What CEO do you follow?— Peter Thiel
- What is your favorite online tool?— Strikingly
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Absolutely not
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Things don’t really work the way people think they do. Keep your vision strong and trust your gut.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:38 – Welcoming Erik to the show
- 01:40 – Erik’s first biotech company, started at age 18
- 03:05 – How to successful exit a company you founded
- 20 – Erik sold his shares for over $250k SEK (Swedish Currency)—a boatload of cash for a 25 year old
- 05:02 – Why Erik went for a Masters degree despite having enjoyed entrepreneurial success
- 05 – Talking about the origins of Cellink
- 20 – Started based on a product developed by Erik’s father
- 08:36 – They pay a monthly licensing fee of several thousand $
- 10:08 – Currently raising around $200k for trials via convertible note
- 30 – Discussion of convertible notes
- 55 – How bio-printing works
- 22 – Hope to print organs for medical patients
- 13:58 – Ink for printing is a patented hydrogel that mimics human tissue
- 14:50 – dream is to have a ‘A bioprinter in every lab’
- 15:00 – Each unit sells for around $5000
- 16:00 – Total 2016 revenue: $4 million
- 17:50 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Trust your gut and don’t be afraid to do your own thing.
- If you’re working with specialists, it’s worth going back to study.
- Find a partner whose skills complement your own.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives