In Episode #269 Nathan interviews Steve Sims, the colorful legend behind The Bluefish. Steve’s the founder of a luxury concierge company that can arrange anything from singing with Journey to getting married in the Vatican. Listen as Steve and Nathan talk about the secrets of engaging people and making impossible things happen.
- Favorite Book? – The Cat in the Hat
- What CEO do you follow? — Tony Hsieh
- What is your favorite online tool? — I actually use a pad and pen
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No!
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — Everything will be all right. Just keep on going, and keep your word.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:30 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:13 – Welcoming Steve to the show
- 03:20 – Steve got into the concierge business after being a club doorman
- 03:50 – “I don’t lie…like me or don’t like me”
- 04:15 – 99% of Steve’s clients are entrepreneurs
- 04:50 – “I psychoanalyse the shit out of them”
- 05:40 – One guy wanted to meet Journey: we got him onstage singing with them
- 06:20 – I always know someone who’s got a contact
- 06:50 – A ‘chain of credibility’
- 08:20 – “When I went in based on money, I made bad decisions”
- 09:00 – I always pay people: a favour is expensive in the long run
- 09:30 – Journey event raised money for Autism Speaks
- 10:10 – People never want to think they’ve been sold
- 10:50 – What engages people is stories and emotions
- 11:20 – The business-entertainment conference that Nathan’s planning
- 13:00 – Connect with Steve at Ugly Sims
- 17:11 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Keep your promises. If you say you can get something done, you’d better get it done.
- Be yourself. People will like you or they won’t – don’t bother trying to bullshit them.
- Think creatively about what motivates people. Money isn’t always the answer. Stories, emotions, connections, contacts…there are a lot of ways to make things happen.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives