In Episode #287 Nathan interviews Kim Barrett, bestselling author and the founder of Your Social Voice – a marketing and lead generation agency that’s gone to $100k per month in sales in just one year. Tune in as Nathan and Kim talk lead generation, marketing, and building a killer sales team.
- Favorite Book? –Built to Sell
- What CEO do you follow? — Gary Vaynerchuk
- Favourite online tool? — Podio
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Trust what you think and don’t listen to what other people tell you to do
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:28 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:25 – Welcoming Kim to the show
- 02:35 – Your Social Voice makes money through ‘done-for-you’ marketing services
- 03:22 – Focus on lead generation – driving traffic to a landing page
- 03:45 – Offering different packages
- 04:20 – Company started in 2013
- 04:40 – Total revenue in 2015 was a little over $450k
- 05:02 – Currently making around $100k per month in sales
- 05:30 – Cash received is 50-60% of sales
- 05:55 – Aim to be a recurring business: encourage clients to engage ongoing services
- 06:40 – 80% month-to-month retention rate
- 07:00 – 25 clients this month
- 07:10 – Always in sales mode – and aiming to bring ongoing clients on board
- 07:45 – Base their sales on strategy, not software
- 09:00 – Challenge of retaining service customers vs. SaaS customers
- 09:42 – Sales people make 15% commission on cash received, plus targets
- 10:30 – Kim’s also a bestselling author of Winning in Life and Work: New Beginnings
- 12:30 – Connect with Kim on Snapchat (therealkimbarrett) or through his website
- 18:58 – Connect with Finn at his website or through Linkedin
- 15:10 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- The difference between building a customer base in a service business and a SaaS business is that you need a fantastic sales team.
- Focus on what your own goals and ideas: don’t let other people’s opinions dictate your life
- Find ‘stretch’ heroes to study: people to follow who are several steps ahead of where you want to be
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives