In Episode #289 Nathan interviews Guillermo Ortiz, the founder of Geek Powered Studios. Guillermo’s an ex-competitive gamer and the force behind a marketing and consulting company that focuses on data to take its clients from good to great. Listen as Nathan and Guillermo talk holistic marketing, investing in data, and why it’s good to be young and dumb.
- Favorite Book? – Scaling Up
- What CEO do you follow? — Will Reynolds
- Favourite online tool? — SEMrush
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—I don’t know if I’d change anything. I was young and dumb and full of heart.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:30 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:49 – Welcoming Guillermo to the show
- 02:30 – Used to be 6th in the world at Socom 2
- 03:05 – Set up strategic partnerships with small businesses
- 03:30 – “We try to do everything correctly rather than one thing really well”
- 03:40 – Monthly retainer package from $2k – $5k per month
- 03:55 – Handle landing pages, graphic design, facebook ads, SEO…
- 04:50 – Would only say no if they lacked time or resources to make the request happen
- 05:30 – Have 15-20 team members
- 05:45 – Based in Austin, Texas
- 06:08 – Total revenue in 2015 was $800k
- 06:30 – Biggest expense is subscription services
- 06:55 – Spent 30-40% of revenue on SaaS
- 07:15 – Profits last year around $100-200k
- 08:10 – Founded the company in 2009 while working full-time
- 08:30 – Left in 2012 to focus on Geek Powered Studios
- 09:14 – Currently around 55 clients
- 09:23 – MRR in 2015 about $110k
- 09:35 – Very high customer retention rates – focus on establishing relationships
- 10:15 – Optimised the keyword ‘deer antler spray’ for one client
- 12:20 – Now focusing on holistic awareness instead of only rankings
- 13:15 – Goal for 2016 is to clear $250k in profit
- 13:50 – Connect with Guillermo on twitter
- 16:20 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Data is the new oil. Invest in data about your company; invest in analytics. Master exactly what’s going on.
- Work yourself out of a job. Build a successful scalable business that can operate without you.
- Establish fantastic relationships with your customers. Retention and referrals come from real relationships.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives