In Episode #296, Nathan interviews Rob Riggs, founder of Your Design Online: a business that helps non-profits and small businesses use big-brand tools to optimize their websites. Rob took his business from $5000 in revenue to over $1.2 million last year. Listen in as Rob and Nathan talk web optimization, driving growth through referrals, and how to get the most from your investments.
- Favorite Book? – anything by Marcus Buckingham
- What CEO do you follow? — Guy Kawasaki
- What is your favorite online tool? — SEOReview
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? —To stick with it. The harder you work, the luckier you get.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:45 – Welcoming Rob to the show
- 01:53 – Works on web development and optimisation
- 02:25 – “We work on the front end to maximise revenue, or the back end to streamline functionality”
- 03:25 – Typically work on a project-by-project basis, but have some retainer clients
- 03:44 – Starts in $6-8k range for a small project
- 04:05 – Monthly retainers range from $500 to five-figure sums
- 05:15 – Launched Your Design Online in 2004
- 05:55 – “I started hiring people better than myself to replace me”
- 06:00 – Total revenue in 2004 was $5k
- 06:22 – Total revenue in 2015 was $1.2 million
- 06:43 – Driving growth through referrals
- 08:23 – “My strategy is growing to support”
- 08:46 – Profit was around $400k in 2015
- 09:45 – Investing some money into commercial real estate for long-term returns
- 16:57 – Connect with Rob at Your Design Online
- 12:55 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Your best marketing tool is referrals. Provide fantastic quality and you’ll find your business growing.
- The harder you work, the luckier you get. Keep going and think long-term, even when things are tough.
- Think seriously about where the best returns are going to be. Don’t be afraid to invest in areas other than your business.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives