In Episode #297, Nathan interviews Shawn Freeman, a man who’s trying to make IT easy instead of infuriating. Sean’s the founder of TWT Group in Canada – a managed IT solutions company that’s making a 30% profit margin on its $2 million in revenue. Listen in as Shawn and Nathan talk creating great relationships, where to invest profits, and how Shawn plans to grow to $10 million in revenue in the next five years.
- Favorite Book? – A Leader Who Had No Title
- What CEO do you follow? — Dan Price
- What is your favorite online tool? — Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? —I wish I had the ambition to quit my job earlier and get started
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:25 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:49 – Welcoming Shawn to the show
- 01:57 – TWT sells managed IT solutions to businesses with between 10 and 100 employees
- 02:45 – “You’ve got to solve problems every day…most of those are to do with people”
- 03:18 – Started in 2011
- 03:20 – Revenue in 2011 was $75k
- 03:40 – Shawn gave up a $115k salary aged 24
- 04:40 – Revenue in 2015 was $2 million
- 05:20 – “Our growth has been 90% driven by referrals”
- 05:40 – Serving 150 customers with a team of 10 people
- 06:03 – 30% net margin in 2015
- 06:20 – What’s Shawn doing with his profits?
- 06:48 – Aiming to make $2.5 million in 2016
- 07:05 – Next investment will be purchasing an office space
- 08:05 – “We want to keep focused on our niche – small to medium business”
- 08:30 – “I think we could be a $10 million business within 5 years”
- 09:46 – Connect with Shawn at his website
- 11:55 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Build trust. Successful business relies on your relationships with real people.
- Think big. Make decisions that reflect the business you want to be
- Stay focused on your niche. Grow by dominating the area you’re fantastic at.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives