In Episode #298, Nathan interviews Anshey Bhatia, founder of Verbal+Visual – a platform for optimising e-commerce that’s become one of Shopify’s top partners. Listen as Nathan and Anshey talk about what growth means, where e-commerce is going, and the importance of focus.
- Favorite Book? – Traction
- What CEO do you follow? — Myself – I look at everything I’m spending time on during a day
- What is your favorite online tool? — Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Very close
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? —To focus
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:23 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:40 – Welcoming Anshey to the show
- 01:44 – Verbal+Visual is an agency that works with e-commerce brands to develop their user experience
- 02:09 – Recently worked with Uproot
- 02:20 – Anshey likes working with Shopify because it’s simple for both IT and management
- 03:30 – Worked with Shopify to create the first wine integration on their site
- 04:30 – Average e-commerce platforms go from an average of $50k to high-end $300k
- 04:54 – Initial development is on a project fee, after which optimisation services are offered on retainer
- 06:02 – Founded the business in 2009
- 06:13 – First-year revenue was around $150k
- 06:30 – Total revenue in 2015 was in the low 7 figures
- 06:41 – Team of 7 full-time employees and 5 part-time, based in New York
- 07:07 – Net margin of around 20%
- 07:31 – Anshey tries to leave profits in the business
- 08:28 – Goal is to reach a team of 40 people within 3 years
- 09:12 – Aim to have 2-3 new clients for each new hire
- 09:44 – The main area of growth has been partnerships, and building a portfolio
- 10:50 – Ideal customer is someone making $100k-$1 million; who wants to grow; and who is unsatisfied with their current e-commerce platform
- 11:20 – Connect with Anshey on Twitter and Linkedin
- 13:00 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Determine what growth means to you. Is it topline revenue? Team size? Customer value? Choose a measure that’s meaningful for your business.
- Improve the quality of every project you do. Your portfolio is your number one tool for finding work.
- Focus from the beginning on what you’re passionate about.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives