In Episode #305 Nathan interviews Ash Kumra. Ash is the co-founder of Tradecraft and an authority on entrepreneurship, social media, and branding. Ash has written a bestselling book, spoken to over 10,000 people and been cited in Forbes, TEDx, and Entrepreneur Magazine. Listen in to hear Ash and Nathan break down how to launch a successful business book, the fine art of self-branding, and how to capture an email list of half a million.
- Favorite Book? – Inside Steve’s Brain
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favourite online tool? —Hootsuite
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Master the art of being fearless. Stick with your heart.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:19 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:30 – Welcoming Ash to the show
- 02:45 – Right now Ash is making money through book sales and speaking engagements
- 03:08 – TradeCraft is Ash’s main business – but he drives traffic through self-branding
- 03:50 – Confessions From an Entrepreneur was published in 2012
- 04:02 – Ash makes $2-3 from each book sale; there have been over 150k volumes sold
- 05:00 – Ash focuses on a very niche market – and speaks to audiences to drive book sales
- 05:45 – Primarily promoted his book sales through Facebook
- 06:15 – Currently has a list of over 500k – captures emails by giving away the first volume of his ebook
- 07:10 – The reason that a lot of people don’t see returns on their books is that they don’t focus on one niche market
- 08:10 – Ash has a strong relationship with a lot of colleges through speaking
- 08:55 – Pushed programs to buy and distribute the book to students
- 09:45 – Speaking revenue in 2015 was around $90k for around 18 speeches
- 10:20 – Ash is stepping back from speaking while he works on a new book
- 10:50 – Works with some startups as a consultant to develop their pitch
- 12:10 – Ash has equity in 15 startups
- 13:00 – “Write an authentic book. Let your passion show.”
- 14:10 – Ash builds his by speaking engagements – and takes other people’s lists in exchange for co-promotions
- 14:10 – Connect with Ash on Facebook
- 17:35 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Promote yourself. Take speaking engagements, write, build authority. All of the self-branding work you do will drive your sales.
- If you want to write a book that sells – target your niche. Find the influencers there and push distribution through them.
- Work at being fearless.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives