In Episode #306 Nathan interviews Peter Awad, host of The Slow Hustle podcast. Peter started an auto motor business in college and now runs two startups, as well as hosting an in-depth entrepreneurship podcast that’s been featured on the Apple homepage. Tune in to hear Peter talk about entrepreneurship with 4 kids, how he makes money from his podcast, and what you can learn from the way successful people manage their lows.
- Favorite Book? – Bold
- What CEO do you follow? — No
- Favorite online tool? —Pomotodo
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—I wish I had more confidence to do what I wanted to do
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:19 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:40 – Welcoming Peter to the show
- 01:47 – Peter has a background in e-commerce
- 02:30 – Peter generates revenue from his automotor business
- 03:07 – Gross revenue in 7 figures, and gross margin of 20-30%
- 04:22 – Started an unsuccessful startup which he tried to run for 4 years
- 05:00 – Connections for Mission Meats were made through previous failures
- 06:05 – Entrepreneurship is full of highs and lows
- 06:40 – The Slow Hustle looks at the way that successful entrepreneurs manage their highs and lows and live a manageable life
- 08:30 – Has hour-long interviews that dig into people’s lives
- 09:20 – Show has 15 live episodes, and around 8-10k downloads per month
- 10:30 – Producing quality relationships with interviewees
- 11:45 – Just signed their first 2 sponsors
- 12:45 – Sponsored by a law firm and by the Iowa Startup Accelerator
- 13:16 – Sell an 8-show sponsor pack for $3k
- 14:25 – Sponsor pack buys you a 60-second ‘sponsor spot’ of pre-recorded conversation
- 14:40 – Around a $10 CPM
- 14:59 – “It’s a labour of love for me…if I can cover costs it’s fine with me”
- 15:20 – Connect with Peter on Twitter
- 17:03 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be afraid or ashamed of failure. Your failures will set you up for future success.
- All entrepreneurs – even the most successful – struggle with managing their work and life, with fear of failure, and with emotional lows. You aren’t alone.
- Follow your passions and do what you love
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives