In Episode #308 Nathan interviews John Ruhlin, the #1 distributor for Cutco and founder of the Ruhlin Group. John’s an expert on high-level gift giving, and accessing CEOs and top executives. Tune in to hear about why gratitude is so important, how to make your relationships work for you, and the secrets of effective gifting.
- Favorite Book? – Give and Take
- What CEO do you follow? — Gary Vaynerchuk
- Favourite online tool? —Hatchbuck
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—I wish I understood that I didn’t have to do it all on my own
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:10 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:30 – Welcoming John to the show
- 01:56 – Interned with CutCo and created their corporate gifting program
- 03:00 – Made around $10k over a summer aged 20
- 03:50 – Sold about $35-40k in his first summer
- 04:25 – Sold over $500k in his best year with CutCo
- 05:20 – “We help leaders not suck at saying Thank You”
- 05:50 – John speaks, writes, and coaches on corporate generosity and gratitude
- 06:20 – Worked with the Chicago Cubs on gifting
- 07:20 – They were remodelling a stadium – so John suggested using the wood from the old locker room to create 400 custom speakers for their most important relationships
- 09:20 – 8 people in John’s team and a strong relationship with his suppliers
- 10:08 – “I really try to appreciate everyone in our circle…I don’t have a business without those people”
- 10:40 – Almost lost the business on 2008 because of embezzlement by his accountant
- 11:25 – Published Giftology through Book in a Box
- 12:40 – Book in a Box cut down around 90% of the work related to creating a book
- 13:30 – Execution, launch and publicity are all being managed by John’s company
- 15:00 – Aiming to hit the Wall Street Journal bestseller list
- 15:20 – The best way to sell a book is to create a great book and have a tribe who’ll promote it
- 17:50 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- You are as strong as the people around you. Create strong relationships with your team, your suppliers, and your partners. You don’t have to do everything alone.
- Say thank you. Relationships thrive on gratitude and appreciation
- Be humble and be honest about your weaknesses, and you’ll find people to help you balance them out
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives