In Episode #372, Nathan interviews James Turner, of Turner Creative. James started his business after the company he worked for picked up and moved five hours away. He didn’t want to make the move, so he took his skills and created his own conversion rates optimization company. Now he’s starting out another company, called Snap. He has caught the entrepreneurial bug and is making more money now than when he was working in the corporate world.
- Favorite Book? – Influence
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favorite online tool? — Airstory
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep? — “I am trying really hard, but I also have a toddler.”
- If you could let your 20-year-old self know one thing, what would it be? — “You’re not going to miss out if you stay home to work on yourself.”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:36 – What is conversion rate optimization?
- 02:05 – Turner recently worked with Conversion Sciences
- 02:45 – Getting more signups for a free trial
- 03:45 – Good and bad conversion rates
- 04:50 – “People have a hard time putting themselves in the heads of their customers.”
- 05:25 – The value of customer research
- 06:20 – How to collect data
- 06:30 – Talk to your customers
- 07:04 – Using testimonials and reviews
- 08:05 – Find which problem is most common in your reviews
- 08:20 – How Turner Creative got started
- 09:00 – First-year revenue was $36000
- 09:30 – 2015 total revenue was about $45000
- 09:40 – Payment per project: $10000 for 3 months
- 10:00 – He will revamp/renew a company’s website
- 10:45 – Currently 2 customers
- 10:55 – “I only want to do two retainers at a time.”
- 11:05 – James is starting a new company, Snap
- 12:20 – Contact him at ca or snapcopy.co.
- 14:30 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Take your skills and find a way to be financially successful.
- Take time to consider customer reviews and testimonials—utilizing this information will make your company better.
- Set aside time to take care of yourself and better yourself.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Airstory – A new online tool for content writing
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives