In Episode #374, Nathan interviews Nick Kullin of Second Flight Consultancy. Nick started his first business at just thirteen years old. As he continued with tons of other jobs after high school, he realized he wanted to go back to how he felt as a thirteen-year-old. He wanted to be an entrepreneur again.
- Favorite Book? – Think and Grow Rich
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favorite online tool? — Yesware
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — Instead of working for people, just start your business at a young age.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:15 – Nathan introduces Nick
- 01:35 – He started his first business at age 13
- 02:15 – He connected people to new music artists
- 02:45 – He automated his system
- 03:05 – He got around $100 to $150 from each band
- 03:30 – He made over $20k with that business
- 03:50 – Then he worked for a golf resort doing marketing and sales
- 04:50 – He helped the resort get a lot more publicity and better marketing
- 05:25 – Then about a year later he went into health and fitness
- 04:45 – He wanted to surround himself with successful people
- 06:30 – He got an opportunity with Time Warner Cable
- 06:40 – Later, he got out of corporate and worked with a small business
- 07:10 – His next job paid him $120000, but he realized he wanted to get back into entrepreneurship
- 07:55 – A lot of money does not make you happy.
- 08:40 – Marketing was his passion, and people saw the value of his skills
- 09:20 – His business was called Second Flight Consultancy
- 10:00 – First-year revenue was $12000
- 10:40 — $175k in 2015, and projected to be over a million in 2016
- 11:13 – Nick developed a “sales robot” that works with LinkedIn
- 12:00 – Ten team members
- 12:25 – Profit is usually 70% of the revenue
- 13:10 – He started out doing a lot of the work on his own
- 14:00 – You need to do really great work with proven results
- 15:10 – He has a variety of customers
- 15:40 – Nick’s academy is a coaching product
- 16:00 – 30% of their revenue
- 16:15 — secondflightacademy.com
- 18:25 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Don’t be afraid to start your own business from a young age.
- A large salary doesn’t necessary buy happiness.
- Make your passion and your skills into a business.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Yesware – Nick’s favorite online tool
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives