In Episode #375, Nathan interviews Ari Meisel, host of the Less Doing Podcast. Ari’s book Less Doing, More Living has sold over 30,000 copies and has been translated into six other languages. Even with four children, Ari stays on top of his consulting business that continues to bring in more revenue every month.
- Favorite Book? – The Art of War
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favorite online tool? — Inbox by Google
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — Test ideas before you jump into them.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:30 – Nathan introduces Ari
- 02:00 – Ari is a productivity consultant/coach
- 02:20 – Virtual company has brought in the most revenue
- 02:35 – They offer on-demand project managers
- 03:00 – Customers pay a membership fee and then an hourly fee for service
- 03:30 – First-year revenue was $200000
- 04:15 – 170 current customers
- 04:40 – They find customers through Ari’s following and the podcast
- 05:50 – Ari is involved with his customers
- 06:10 – It’s an expensive service because of the quality and variety of what they can do
- 06:45 – Ari likes connecting resources for other businesses and finding talent
- 07:15 – They are really involved in all of the businesses that hire them
- 07:35 – “An easy-bake oven for a business”
- 08:40 – Average customer pays about $1150/month
- 09:20 – In May they had $46000 in revenue, and they are growing every month
- 10:00 – His business takes care of a lot of the daily tasks for business owners and companies
- 10:50 – The company is self-funded
- 11:05 – They decline anyone who wants to invest in the company
- 11:58 – Less Doing Podcast
- 12:10 – 30000 downloads per month
- 12:20 – A weekly show
- 12:35 – Average downloads per episode for the first couple months: 3000
- 13:30 – Sponsorship revenue for the podcast
- 14:08 – Ari’s books, Less Doing, More Living and The Art of Less Doing
- 15:00 – He got an advance with Random House/Penguin for Less Doing, More Living
- 15:15 – How he got an advance as a first-time author
- 16:20 – 30000 copies sold
- 18:00 – Lessdoing.com
- 20:00 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Create the best service and business that you possibly can.
- Find your specific talent and put yourself in that industry.
- It is possible to balance a busy life with your business.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.