In Episode #382, Nathan interviews Andrew Kemendo, founder of Pair. Andrew was in Guam as an Airforce Intelligence Officer when he came up with an augmented reality idea to try out furniture and materials without having to buy or ship anything. The Airforce needed to build new facilities, and Andrew thought his idea would save a lot of money and headache. Now his company Pair is used by several large manufacturers to help people find the right furniture for their homes.
- Favorite Book? – Crossing the Chasm
- What CEO do you follow? — Justin Kan
- Favorite online tool? — Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?—Never.
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — Keep learning about paradigm shifting technologies.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:13 – Nathan introduces Andrew
- 01:40 – Pair is a tool to try out home furnishings before you buy them
- 02:30 – Free for consumers
- 02:45 – Andrew’s experience in Guam and how he came up with Pair
- 03:45 – They started working with architects
- 04:10 – Launched fulltime in 2015
- 05:00 – Funding over $900k
- 05:20 – First-year revenue was $10000/month
- 06:20 – Pilots in big cities
- 06:30 – Monthy and up-front fees
- 07:15 – Revenue in 2016
- 07:50 – 15 manufacturers and over 2000 products
- 08:30 – Transition for the company
- 09:10 – Architects to home furnishers
- 10:20 – Larger adjustable market
- 10:40 – Projection for $1.5M
- 11:20 — 20000 products placed each month by app users
- 12:15 – CPC and CPM
- 12:55 – Ability to scale
- 13:25 – Pair on Twitter and Facebook
- 13:45 — @andrewkemendo on Twitter and andrewkdot on Snapchat
- 15:45 — The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Embrace new technology to create a solution to a problem.
- Don’t be afraid to change your business model to help your business grow.
- Adjust your product to benefit a larger group of consumers.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Slack – The online tool Andrew uses to stay organized at Pair
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives