In Episode #428, Nathan brings Southern California entrepreneur, Egbert Ootsburg, onto The Top. Egbert runs a company that designs apps for the scalding-hot consumer drone market. Listen as Egbert talks about his strong ambition to make a difference in the world and how he takes advantage of the drone market.
- Favorite Book? – Zero to One
- What CEO do you follow? – Andy Stanley
- Favorite online tool? — Evernote
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— “Are you kidding?”
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? – “To get started faster and not to wait for something to occur before giving yourself permission to succeed”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:37 – Nathan introduces Egbert to the show
- 02:06 – How Egbert generates money
- 05:00 – Leaving the corporate world
- 05:10 – Worked with Pfizer in 2009
- 05:38 – Biggest recommendation
- 05:55 – “There’s always a way to bootstrap something”
- 06:20 – Egbert did a consulting job
- 06:31 – Consulting revenue
- 07:07 – The gap between the pre-revenue and 2009
- 07:35 – Drone industry
- 08:25 – Creative ways to decrease expenses
- 08:36 – “Live on the basics that you need”
- 08:52 – Cut the monthly expenses to 45% of previous total
- 09:09 – 4 kids
- 09:46 – How much money you keep is NOT how much money you make
- 10:05 – Reason why Egbert’s business attracted investors
- 10:24 – Experience in aviation from Navy
- 11:05 – Anticipated revenue in the next quarter
- 11:55 – About half a million registered users
- 12:17 – New items every week
- 12:37 – Connect with Egbert thru his LinkedIn and Twitter
- 14:55 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Believe in the vision of what you’re doing and create value.
- It is about how much money you keep, not how much money you save.
- Get started faster.
- Toptal – Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to quality of Toptal developers.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- LinkedIn – Egbert’s linkedin account
- @EgbertOostburg – Egbert’s twitter handle
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives