In Episode #456, Nathan interviews Ali Mirza, used to sell personal insurance door to door in Canada before getting fired and electing to venture out on his own. Listen to learn how he transformed his floundering sales career into a winner that he now sells to other companies.
- Favorite Book? – How to Win Friends and Influence People
- What CEO do you follow? – Henry Ford
- Favorite online tool? — Mixmax
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20-year-old self know one thing, what would it be? – “Stop being so afraid and just go do it. Work hard and smart.”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Nathan introduces Ali to the show
- 02:06 – Ali builds sales processes for mid-market companies
- 02:22 – Ali charged based on the work that he has to do
- 02:40 – His program ranges starts at $ 20-25,000 to $ 130,000
- 03:00 – Typical retainers
- 03:43 – HH Land Developments as a client
- 03:53 – Didn’t pay retainers
- 04:20 – Ali has 4 employees
- 04:33 – Ali’s business was founded in 2011
- 04:42 – First year revenue
- 05:25 – Total 2015 revenue
- 05:35 – 2016 target revenue
- 05:58 – They are back on startup level now
- 06:20 – Number of customers at the moment is 5 – 6
- 06:45 – Ali wants to be a consulting space
- 07:17 – Why would people choose Ali?
- 08:20 – “It doesn’t matter what you’re selling. What matters is what your client is buying”
- 08:41 – Need to figure out what the client exactly need
- 09:24 – Ali is launching a new business
- 10:30 – Building an online platform where we can do Monday morning meetings
- 11:27 – Is a webinar based hosting a sales meeting
- 12:45 – People will pay Ali a subscription fee to meet him in Monday morning meetings
- 12:50 – Will be launched in Canada in January
- 13:00 – First year goal
- 13:33 – Net margin in consulting business
- 14:17 – “In the long term, I may have thousands of people in Monday morning meeting”
- 14:45 – Reach Ali through RoseGardenConsulting.com
- 16:50 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Take your failures and turn them into inspiration.
- Be your own self.
- Adjust to your client’s needs and don’t just stick with what you can offer.
- Toptal – Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal developers.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Assistant.to – The site Nathan uses to book meetings with one email.
- RoseGardenConsulting.com – Ali’s website
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives