In Episode #502, Nathan interviews Andrew Keene, president and CEO of AlphaShark Trading which is originally founded as KeeneOnTheMarket.com in 2011. Prior to that, he grew up working as a proprietary trader at Chicago Board Options Exchange. He began his career on a trade program and would eventually co-found the KATL group. He currently actively trades future equity options, currency options present in commodities, and was a regular guest/market commentator on such networks as Bloomberg, CNBC and Fox Business. His first love will always be trading but he’s arguably even more well-known for building a trading room. He is especially proud of having taught his personal strategies trading for over 50,000 guests for years.
- Favorite Book? – Automatic Customer
- What CEO do you follow? – Elon Musk
- Favorite online tool? — N/A
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep? — No
- If you could let your 20-year old self, know one thing, what would it be? – “Not to date a girl for 8 years and be engaged”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:38 – Nathan introduces Andrew to the show
- 02:32 – Andrew is based in Austin and San Diego
- 03:17 – Andrew is part of Entrepreneur Organization
- 03:55 – Andrew purchased a place in San Diego and put it on Airbnb
- 05:18 – “This year I expect to make $20,000 from that $70,000 investment”
- 06:24 – Andrew wants to get the “Super Host” status on Airbnb
- 06:33 – Airbnb advertises Super Host’s properties more
- 06:53 – Andrew looks at Airbnb hosting as an investment
- 07:25 – The risk of having your properties in Airbnb
- 07:31 – Stand-alone is not covered by HOA
- 07:48 – HOA wants to ban short-term rentals in San Diego
- 08:10 – Hosts can take advantage of their cash-flow situation
- 08:50 – Andrew has made $5M from trading
- 09:30 – Andrew shares how he got into trading
- 10:32 – Andrew has a place in Chicago, too
- 10:38 – Andrew is making around $8,000 a year for his place in Chicago
- 11:16 – Andrew is starting his second deal
- 11:41 – People ask Andrew how he makes money through the investment
- 12:04 – Andrew is working on a book with Airbnb
- 12:11 – AirBNBopen in LA
- 12:25 – There are around 7,000 people who paid Andrew for trading information
- 12:35 – Andrew has more than 50,0000 people in his email list
- 13:09 – Andrew shares how his cash flow works with his property in San Diego
- 13:45 – Andrew names software that he uses other than Revestor
- 14:45 – You can use analytics and research by Revestor to get into the market
- 15:50 – Standard percentage for payment fees
- 16:30 – Nathan makes an offer to Andrew
- 17:55 – Email Andrew to connect with him
- 20:05 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Find the right investment and STUDY it as best as you can.
- Go to someone who is an expert in a market that you want to be in.
- Stay independent as long as you can.
- Acuity Scheduling – Nathan uses Acuity to schedule his podcast interviews and appointments
- Drip – Nathan uses Drip’s email automation platform and visual campaign builder to build his sales funnel
- Toptal– Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal
- Host Gator– The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Audible– Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5-hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- The Top Inbox – The site Nathan uses to schedule emails to be sent later, set reminders in inbox, track opens and follow-up with email sequences
- Andrew@AlphaShark.com – Andrew’s email address
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives