In Episode #520, Nathan interviews Nick Bjorn. He is an entrepreneur by trade and digital marketer by evolution with over 8 years of professional agency experience. He has gained a national and global perspective on the evolving and digital world with an emphasis in search engine optimization or SEO. Nick is the co-founder of Power Digital Marketing which is based in San Diego, CA.
- Favorite Book? – Good to Great
- What CEO do you follow? – Eric Schmidt
- Favorite online tool? — Mixmax
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20-year old self, know one thing, what would it be? – “Commit to a skillset early on in life”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:45 – Nathan introduces Nick to the show
- 02:12 – Power Digital Marketing is a full-service digital agency
- 02:15 – Power Digital Marketing was created 4 years ago
- 02:18 – Nick has 2 other business partners who handle finances and team management
- 02:35 – Power Digital Marketing has 3 employees
- 02:40 – Power Digital Marketing’s types of services described
- 03:15 – First year revenue was around $500K
- 03:33 – Power Digital Marketing has humble beginnings
- 03:50 – 2015 total revenue is $3.2M
- 03:57 – Estimate 2016 revenue is around $6M
- 04:10 – Power Digital Marketing typically has 6-month contracts
- 04:35 – Minimum amount per contract is $5K
- 04:43 – Retainers are at $50K a month
- 05:14 – Power Digital Marketing currently has 60 clients
- 05:25 – Average MRR
- 06:10 – 2017 revenue goal
- 06:35 – Power Digital Marketing and what they do for their clients
- 08:50 – Power Digital Marketing benefits well from link building
- 10:30 – Power Digital Marketing has PR professionals that build relationships with the clients
- 10:50 – Google now tracks backlinking and is reaching out to editors
- 11:43 – Power Digital Marketing relationship with SoccerNation.com
- 12:42 – “How do you find terms to target?”
- 12:47 – Do your due diligence
- 13:37 – Power Digital Marketing is currently in the process of developing their own page analytics software
- 14:20 – Connect with Nick on Twitter and email
- 16:35 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Creating content for SEO requires an understanding of the technicalities associated with backlinking.
- Track every campaign’s effectivity as you step forward.
- Do your due diligence when it comes to finding the right terms and keywords that sell.
- Acuity Scheduling – Nathan uses Acuity to schedule his podcast interviews and appointments
- Drip – Nathan uses Drip’s email automation platform and visual campaign builder to build his sales funnel
- Toptal– Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal
- Host Gator– The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Audible– Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5-hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- The Top Inbox – The site Nathan uses to schedule emails to be sent later, set reminders in inbox, track opens and follow-up with email sequences
- Nick@PowerDigitalMarketing.com – Nick’s email address
- @Nick_Bjorn – Nick’s Twitter handle
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives