In Episode #604, Nathan interviews Andy Lürling and his business partner, Menno Bischops. Andy has over 15 years of experience in the startup world and is truly a serial entrepreneur. He has tons of experience in corporate and the corporate environment including strategy, business development and product development in entertaining and series gaming, VR, AR and online applications. He and Menno are working on a company called VRee.
- Favorite Book? – Exponential Organization – Andy
- What CEO do you follow? – Andy Lürling
- Favorite online tool? — Google Maps and Google Docs
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20-year old self, know one thing, what would it be? – “Go for it—just do it”
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:21 – Nathan introduces Andy and Menno to the show
- 02:05 – LUMO Labs is a 2-year accelerator
- 03:30 – LUMO labs is all capital at this point
- 04:27 – The size of the funds that LUMO Labs has contributed
- 05:08 – The number of investment rounds LUMO Labs has made
- 05:20 – Official launch of LUMO Labs
- 06:30 – Menno shares what VRee does
- 07:00 – The full-body VR experience
- 07:26 – The VR suits, headset and goggles are wireless
- 08:05 – It is like augmented laser tag
- 08:42 – VRee also offers e-sports
- 09:18 – The capital VRee has raised
- 09:50 – The grant is non-dilutive
- 10:05 – Menno shares how they earn from VRee
- 10:29 – VRee is currently showcasing what their platform can offer
- 10:43 – VRee has revenue, but it’s not substantial yet
- 11:11 – VRee is usually used in pop-up events
- 11:30 – VRee is in current talks with VR arcades for permanent installation
- 12:42 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Accelerators is a great avenue for startups to get going.
- You may have to start small and that may mean intermittent revenue.
- Just go for it, take courage and just do it!
- Acuity Scheduling – Nathan uses Acuity to schedule his podcast interviews and appointments
- Drip – Nathan uses Drip’s email automation platform and visual campaign builder to build his sales funnel
- Toptal– Nathan found his development team using Toptal for his new business Send Later. He was able to keep 100% equity and didn’t have to hire a co-founder due to the quality of Toptal
- Host Gator– The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for the cheapest price possible.
- Audible– Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5-hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- The Top Inbox – The site Nathan uses to schedule emails to be sent later, set reminders in inbox, track opens, and follow-up with email sequences
- Jamf – Jamf helped Nathan keep his Macbook Air 11” secure even when he left it in the airplane’s back seat pocket
- Freshbooks – Nathan doesn’t waste time so he uses Freshbooks to send out invoices and collect his money. Get your free month NOW
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives