In Episode #211, Nathan speaks with Matt Weinberg, CEO of Vector Media Group a company that specializes in web design, content management, and general media consulting. Listen in as Matt shares the history of his 15 year old company, how it went from a small pet project to genuine giant, and what he sees for the future of media.
Matt cofounded Vector Media Group in high school, and is now its President of Development and
Technology. Vector is now 32 people and has been on the Inc 5000 list of America’s fastest growing
companies for 3 years in a row. We’re fully bootstrapped: we’ve never taken outside funding or debt and have been profitable every single month since our start.
- Favorite Book? – Getting to Yes
- What CEO do you follow?— Travis Kalanick
- What is your favorite online tool?— WorkFlowy
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Know how much harder it is to take a risk at 30 than 20.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:17 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:48 – Welcoming Matt to the show
- 02:19 – Matt has one partner (Lee)
- 02:36 – Company founded in 2000
- 03:02 – Started ramping up to a media company in 2005
- 03:40 – They are effectively a consulting company
- 04:48 – Web design and consulting is the biggest aspect of Vector’s business
- 05:45 – Vector loves to get in with companies as early as possible
- 06:44 – GreenTechMedia.com
- 07:55 – Vector bills at roughly $180/HR
- 10:03 – Walking through the negotiation/fleshing out process
- 11:12 – Catch problems EARLY
- 11:28 – Vector can work on almost any budget
- 12:00 – Ideas change DRAMATICALLY post launch
- 12:50 – Working with the Associated Press
- 13:41 — @MRW
3 Key Points:
- Take risks before your 30…it gets harder after that birthday.
- Mentally and financially budget for the changes you’ll want post launch—there will be many.
- Don’t be afraid to price yourself as a premium product if you know you’re worth it.
- Host Gator – Who Nathan uses for his website. Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- WorkFlowy – The online tool Matt can’t live without
- Travis Kalanick – The CEO Matt follows
- Getting to Yes – Matt’s favorite business book
- GreenTechMedia.com – One of Vector’s clients
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives