In Episode #137, Nathan speaks with Russell Brunson of DotComSecrets and Click Funnels, two companies that have completely transformed the digital marketing space. Listen as Nathan and Russell talk about the journey from starting a business in a dorm room, to making millions and millions of dollars in annual revenue.
- Favorite Book?—Rework
- What CEO do you follow?— None
- What is your favorite online tool?—do
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Understand the power of working for people for FREE
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 01:35 – Russell joins the show
- 01:46 – Russell talks about what he was selling in college—POTATO GUNS
- 02:15 – Russell is 35 years old
- 02:35 – Dot Com Secrets is Russell’s coaching company—ClickFunnels is the result
- 03:39 – Dot Com Secrets is also a book now
- 04:04 – The company (DCS not CF) will do between $6-7 million by the end of the year
- 04:20 – Most ClickFunnels members ultimately become consulting clients in one way or another
- 04:55 – Bridging the gap between the software and the concept
- 06:13 – The call-to-action in Russell’s book
- 07:20 – 18% of ClickFunnel customers pay $300 a month—everyone else pays $100
- 08:08 – Defying the venture capital route
- 09:13 – Defining the ultimate goal with ClickFunnels
- 11:16 – Ironing out the equity split
- 11:29 – Russell sank over $1,000,000 to get Click Funnels off the ground
- 13:10 – It’s not always about what your partner’s bring—it’s about how much you respect them
- 14:20 – Customer acquisition cost
- 15:05 – 80% of new clients are organic, 20% are from affiliates
- 18:30 – Click Funnels list is ½ million people
- 18:45 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- You can create an astoundingly profitable consulting business by providing a bridge between software and the concept behind the software
- When you go the VC route, your board members become your customers and the REAL customers are the ones who lose out.
- If the goose is laying the golden egg—don’t tinker.
- Hey Top Tribe!—In case you missed yesterday’s episode (#136), check it out here!
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- ClickFunnels – Russell’s newest company
- Dot Com Secrets – Russell’s consulting company
- Dot Com Secrets – Russell’s book
- Rework – Russell’s favorite business book
- do – THE digital tool Russell could not live without
Russell Brunson is a trail blazer in the world of internet marketing, becoming most famous for his sophisticated use of split testing. Russell started his first business while studying at University, selling over a million dollars’ worth of his own products and services from his own basement by the time he graduated. Since then, he has started and built diverse businesses including software company ClickFunnels and coaching company DotComSecrets.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives