In Episode #141, Nathan speaks with Stig Brodersen of The Investor’s Podcast which is the number 1 podcast in the world for stock investing. Stig holds a master’s degree in finance from Harvard University and is a co-founder of BuffettsBooks.com, an educational site. Listen as Nathan and Stig talk about commodities trading and Stig’s new job as a teacher in Denmark.
- Favorite Book?— The Snowball – by Warren Buffet
- What CEO do you follow?— Warren Buffet
- What is your favorite online tool?— Boomerang
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Often, but less on the weekends.
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Don’t worry Stig, you won’t be single for the rest of your life.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction to today’s show
- 02:00 – Stig joins the show
- 02:27 – “Always be good to other people.” – Easy to say, hard to practice
- 03:56 – Million monkeys flipping coins, one should be lucky – a Warren Buffet metaphor
- 04:40 – Stig quit his job as a commodities trader to teach and run a podcast
- 05:23 – Being a commodities trader involves working very long hours
- 06:08 – A trader gets a base salary and a bonus which is usually more appealing than the base salary
- 06:49 – Stig made between 200K and 400K on his base salary as trader
- 07:25 – As a trader, Stig dealt in energy like stocks. He started in 2011 and quit in 18 months
- 08:43 – “If you can’t be the person that you really are, you should leave for the sake of everyone.”
- 09:09 – Luckily, Stig didn’t struggle with paying rent or food in his off period
- 09:47 – His living expenses per month was a few thousand dollars
- 10:25 – Something that stuck with Stig: “Success is probably the simplest thing in the world. You just have to do the same thing as successful people and then stop doing the same thing that unsuccessful people are doing.”
- 11:31 – Nathan and Stig discuss audio equipment
- 12:46 – Stig makes money in Denmark teaching making 6-7K a month
- 13:51 – Stig discusses his podcast and having a co-host
- 16:41 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- “If you can’t be the person that you really are [in a workplace], you should leave for the sake of everyone.”
- “Success is probably the simplest thing in the world. You just have to do the same thing as successful people and then stop doing the same thing that unsuccessful people are doing.”
- Being a commodities trader is a strenuous, long hour job that pays a lot of money.
- Growth Geeks – The way Nathan hires growth hackers on a per project basis for things like info graphics, blog posts, and other growth projects
- The Investor’s Podcast – Stig Brodersen’s podcast
- The Snowball: Warren Buffet and the Business of Life – Book Stig stands by
- Tap Dancing to Work – Another book Stig stands by
- Eddy Communications – Nathan’s audio/studio team
Stig holds a master’s degree in Finance, has studied Business Analysis at Harvard University, and he’s the co-founder of the BuffettsBooks.com educational site. During graduate school Stig co-founded a consultancy firm, providing clients with legal and financial advice relating to personal finance. Upon graduation Stig sold his shares in the firm to become a commodities trader in one of Europe’s leading energy trading companies. Now, Stig works as a college professor teaching a variety of courses including financial accounting, investment and economics. Stig also owns the investment company Stig Brodersen Holding.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives