People ask me how I read so much and actually retain information. This is the system I build for myself.
Week of August 4th:
1. Read Walt Disney Biography
2. Read The Perfect Store (eBay history)
3. Read Creativity Inc, (Pixar history)
How to read: Ignore first and last two words in every line. Circle any names mentioned who I find interesting. Write “read” and underline any other books, articles, or publications mentioned that I want to study. This strategy works best when using a $1.99 Uni-Ball Vision Elite pen made in Japan. Underline critical themes deserving of space on the 8.5×11″ page of notes for each book.
1. Flip through Walt Disney, The Perfect Store, Creativity Inc and capture all underlined notes in a one page review. Write down all people mentioned in book along with all publications mentioned.
Week of August 11th:
1. 6:30-6:45am read the one page summary of Walt, Perfect Store, Creativity Inc. (do this every morning for a week, then once every Sunday for 3 months, then once a quarter for 4 quarters, then 1 every half year for ever)
2. Filter all decisions through creative lens Walt did with no focus on finances. Smoke cigarettes. Avoid family. Study employee desks late at night to keep pulse of company. Convince yourself you’re Walt.
3. Read The Obstacle is The Way, Willpower, Hillary Clinton Biography
1. Flip through Obstacle is way, Willpower, Hillary Clinton and capture all underlined notes in a one page review. Write down all people mentioned in book along with all publications mentioned.
Rinse, wash, repeat.