In Episode #209, Nathan speaks with Derek Capo, a former hedge fund guy, and Miami native who witnessed the 2007 real estate collapse first hand. Listen as Nathan asks Derek about his life in a hedge fund, his several entrepreneurial ventures, and what it’s like saying “See-ya” to South Beach to set up a business ½ a world away in China.
Born in raised in Miami, worked at a hedge fund for a few years then moved to China to study Chinese and started a new business in the fintech startup scene.
- Favorite Book? – N/A
- What CEO do you follow?— Hoby Darling
- What is your favorite online tool?— Asana
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Focus on more profitable businesses
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:16 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:35 – Welcoming Derek to the show
- 01:48 – Life in a hedge fund and in Fin Tech
- 02:22 – The biggest win?—Jet Blue—made $3-4 million in a few weeks
- 04:27 – Luck versus Skill in the hedge fund game
- 07:35 – Compensation in a hedge fund
- 08:50 – Not many 21 year olds get started in a hedge fund
- 09:50 – It’s ALL about the hustle
- 10:50 – Heading to China from Miami
- 11:18 – Seeing the financial crisis LIVE in Miami
- 12:16 – In the “shorting” game you have to be patient and willing to wait years to see your positions pay off
- 12:44 – Why Derek went to China
- 14:30 – The lifestyle in China is cheap, but not as cheap as you might think
- 14:58 – efin.com
- 16:25 – Derek has two partners from China
- 17:17 – How Derek will eventually make revenue with EFin
- 17:38 – So far have put $50K into the business
- 20:30 – Derek@Efin.com
3 Key Points:
- Engage prospects with content before making an offer.
- Get facetime with people, build intimacy.
- Test different things to see what works well…when you find it, hit it hard and fast.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Google Keep – The online tool Ezra can’t live without
- EFin.com – Derek’s new business
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
- Derek@Efin.com – Derek’s email address
Listeners who enjoyed Derek, also listened to these episodes:
202 Jon Gillion 0-$50k/Mo in 4 Months with Jon Gillion from Roost
198 Nicholas Tart Freelance Marketplace AwesomeWeb Hits 1100 Active Freelancers With Nick Tart
191 Tony Stubblebine Jack Dorseys Last Boss
106 Greg Pietruszynski He’s 28, In Poland, and wants a $20m Valuation!
74 Ryan Farley He Quit a Six Figure Salary Job and Built a LawnCare Company That’s Raised 6m+ in Funding!
31 Mike Hardenbrook One Growth Tactic Got Him $250k and a Spot In The Worlds Top Accelerator, Techstars with Mike Hardenbrook
26 Shahar Gilad From Working at Apple to 99Designs for Music Production with Shahar Gilad