In Episode #197, Nathan speaks with Jay Baer, the world’s most retweeted person among digital marketers. Jay is a renowned business strategist, keynote speaker and the New York Times bestselling author of five books. Listen as Nathan and Jay talk about the difference between a workshop and keynote speaker, the importance of having a “bad cop” on your team, and why being patient is grossly undervalued.
- Favorite Book? – Different
- What CEO do you follow?— Gary Vaynerchuk
- What is your favorite online tool?— Sigstr
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Understand the real rhythms of business and be patient.
Jay Baer is the world’s most retweeted person among digital marketers. He is a renowned business strategist, keynote speaker and the New York Times bestselling author of five books who travels the world helping businesspeople get and keep more customers. Jay has advised more than 700 companies since 1994, including Caterpillar, Nike, Allstate, The United Nations and 32 of the FORTUNE 500. He is the founder of Convince & Convert, a strategy consulting firm that helps prominent companies gain and keep more customers through the smart intersection of technology, social media, and customer service.
His Convince & Convert Media division owns the world’s #1 content marketing blog, the world’s top marketing podcast, and many other education resources for business owners and executives. The creator of five multimillion dollar companies, Jay is an active venture capitalist and technology advisor, as well as an avid tequila collector, and certified barbecue judge.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 02:07 – Nathan’s welcomes Jay to the show
- 02:28 – Jay’s #1 channel
- 03:55 – Until your scheduled release date…don’t sell your book on Amazon
- 05:25 – com
- 05:49 – The advantage of partnering with corporate sponsors for generating marquee revenue
- 07:28 – Valuing sponsorships
- 08:45 – Jay has 6 podcasts and advertisements are normally recorded LIVE in the show
- 09:41 — $500K per year on the podcasts alone
- 10:12 – The only 3 people Jay will do FREE gigs for
- 10:40 – Reward the people that help you build your career
- 11:10 – MC-ing something is HARD—way harder than doing a keynote
- 11:35 – If you’re a speaker, you do NOT negotiate your own rate—get yourself a “bad cop” biz dev person
- 12:40 – Jay’s 1st paid speaking gig
- 13:08 – The more you speak, the more you speak
- 13:40 – Start playing for free, then start playing for beer, then start playing for favors, then start playing for money—you have to be PATIENT
- 14:35 – Workshop Speakers versus Keynote Speakers
- 15:30 – Jay does $1M a year in speaking–$20-25K per event
- 16:34 – JayBaer.com
3 Key Points:
- The more you speak, the more you speak.
- If you’re not patient, you’re not successful.
- Reward the people that help you build your career.
- Edgar – Nathan uses Edgar instead of other scheduling tools for Twitter because Edgar cycles through content over and over (buffer/others you have to re-input content over and over – time consuming). In the last several months, Edgar has driven Nathan over 3728 clicks that he didn’t have to work or pay for.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Sigstr – Jay’s favorite online tool
- Different – Jay’s favorite book
- Gary Vaynerchuk – The CEO Jay follows
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives