In Episode #218, Nathan speaks with lifelong entrepreneur, Lane Cambell. Listen as Lane shares his insight on the importance of partnerships for rapid growth, the challenges of finding quality technical talent, and his plans for the future.
- Favorite Book? – The Hard Thing About Hard Things
- What CEO do you follow?— Mark Zuckerberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Leave college early.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:06 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:28 – Welcoming Lane to the show
- 01:33 – The 5 companies Lane sold before he was 30
- 02:20 – Lifetime value of exits was south of $10M
- 02:45 – Lane’s current projects
- 03:51 – His #1 focus right now is TBD
- 04:44 – Lane’s #1 income stream is ly
- 05:39 — $20-$40K is Lane’s consulting fee
- 07:25 – Use partnerships and incentives to grow rapidly
- 08:18 – Even if you’re a name brand you can still decline in revenue year of year
- 09:05 – Create.ly did roughly $500K in 2015
- 09:52 – The challenge of attracting top technical talent
- 11:26 – The cost of hiring an $80K salaried employee in the U.S. is $26K
- 13:43 – LaneCambell.com
3 Key Points:
- Take advantage of partnerships and incentivize your offerings to grow quickly.
- Just because you’re a household name/brand doesn’t mean you’re infallible.
- Top technical talent is hard to find and harder to lock up—if you find it put a vice on it.
- Host Gator – Powerful web hosting made easy and affordable.
- Ly – Lane’s current income generator
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Top listeners who listened to this episode also listened to these:
184 Nathan Latka Sold Heyo, Here’s What’s Next
177 Nathan Latka My decision. Should I sell Heyo or not.
171 Nathan Latka We got an offer to sell Heyo
167 Eran Eyal How do You Sell for $90m with NO REVENUE?!
166 Frank Meehan Were you ever surprised at a Spotify Board Meeting?
148 Jay Bean From $250k+ Salary, to 4 years making nothing, to $30m+ Payday in SMB World with Jay Bean
135 Hampus Jackobsson I sold my company for $150m to Blackberry then got out!
121 Chad Wittman 26 Year Old Sells EdgeRank Checker for $3m with Chad Wittman
112 Ethan Anderson He Built Google Video, Then Youtube Happened, Sold for $70m with Ethan Anderson
103 Dean Levitt How MadMimi Does $500k/mo in Revenue and Sold to GoDaddy with Dean Levitt
73 Jim Fowler Salesforce bought his company for $175m in 2010, What’s he doing now?
41 Tim Fargo He went from bankrupt in 1991 to $XX Million dollar sale in 2003 in THIS industry?