In Episode #232, Nathan speaks with Ryan Paugh, a man who builds kick-ass communities for entrepreneurs and Gen Y dreamers. Listen as Nathan asks Ryan about what inspired him to get into community building, how he does it so effectively, and what enticed Forbes to become one of his partners.
- Favorite Book? – Lessons in Excellence
- What CEO do you follow?—None
- What is your favorite online tool?— Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?—Create early on—don’t wait until you’re in your late 20s
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:06 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:30 – Welcoming Ryan to the show
- 02:00 – Ryan’s main focus
- 04:31 – You’ve got to have real people behind the scenes
- 04:53 – How Ryan drives revenue
- 06:05 – What it costs to join Founders Society
- 07:22 –Roughly 500 members
- 09:15 – Total membership of the Forbes Partnership—it’s in the thousands
- 09:44 – Forbes gets a cut—that’s why they take the time to support the community
- 10:55 – These communities are both an online and offline venture
- 11:53 — @RyanPaugh
- 13:49 – Famous 5
3 Key Points:
- At the end of the day, you need real people to run your company.
- You have access to more communities than you realize—get out there and take advantage of them.
- If you’re willing to offer them a monetary cut, you can secure BIG, name-brand partners.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Founders Society – One of the communities operated by Ryan
- Mallard Creatives – Provider of Show Notes
The Top listeners who listened to this show also listened to these:
FEATURED: 155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
181 Kristi Zulhke You won’t believe what she quit corporate P&G for.
165 Nehal Kazim His Revenue Goal Was $600k. His Plan? Fire or Get Fired.
160 Jenn Scalia It is Possible to have 5 year old and do 5 figures every month with Jenn Scalia
159 Eric Siu He Bought a $150k/mo Agency for $2 with Eric Siu
155 Vincent Harris Dorm Room Startup Now Rand Paul’s Internet Army, $1.3m Revenues
134 Gilbert Welsford I produce events and made $100k in September, 2015
102 Christo Hall Pro Surfer to $2m in 12 months with this product?
101 Wes Schaeffer 7 Kids and $500k In Revenue With Wes Schaeffer
96 Chris Sanfiliippo He makes $100k/mo from “Revenge Porn”
76 Lori Latka My mom takes over the show: Buys Real Estate Business, Moves to Horse Ranch for Simple Dream
75 Chris Merkle How he went from intern, to $60k on his first deal, to $3m in revenue this year
63 Alex Harris Staying small and winning big with 6 clients who pay $5k/mo with Alex Harris
62 Brandon Epstein He has a six pack and charges $1k/mo for Instagram consulting to mega-rich clients?
60 Justin Brooke What if growing your one person agency to $90k+/mo was this simple?
57 James Hickey 2 Ways Anyone Can Generate $5k/month with James Hickey
25 Greg Hickman From $110k corporate gig to startup failure, then what? With Greg Hickman.
22 Jaime Turner From Freelance College Speaking to $100k/yr In Speaking Fees with Jaime Turner
18 Franklin Cole From Underwear to $40m In Revenue and Seven figure clients with Franklin C