In Episode #245 Nathan interviews Joe Saul-Sehy, host of the award-winning Stacking Benjamins podcast. Listen as Joe talks about selling his financial planning firm to become a teacher – then leaving teaching college to become an entrepreneur. Hear Joe and Nathan discuss fintech, strategy, and the secrets behind successful podcasting.
- Favorite Book? – The Marine Corps Book of Strategy
- What CEO do you follow? — Alex Blumberg
- What is your favorite online tool?— Slack
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Except for one night a week
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? — Start earlier. Don’t spend your life preparing, spend it living.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:07 – Welcoming Joe to the show
- 02:23 – Why did you leave the television network?
- 03:10 – Realizing “There are other mountains I want to climb”
- 50 – Joe sold his financial planning firm for $750k to become a teacher
- 04:20 – How to value a financial planning firm
- 06:30 – Joe realized he could teach what he loved, without being in the school system
- 26 – Making enough money writing to leave teachers’ college
- 09:05 – Created the ‘Free Financial Advisor’ website
- 40 – In March 2012, started podcasting
- 30 – Creating what you want to hear
- 11:30 – Finding a niche as ‘the shallowest financial podcast on Earth’
- 12:30 – 152,000 monthly downloads
- 13:19 – ‘When you do something, you do it to be the best’
- 14:05 – Podcast running cost of around $500 per month
- 14:30 – Sponsored by SoFi, a financial tech company
- 15:00 – Discussion of fintech: a market that’s growing explosively
- 16:52 – Monthly revenue around $5,500
- 17:55 – Strategy: optimal CPM is around 18
- 50 – Joe’s goal: to create great value for existing sponsors
- 19:30 – Podcast Movement conference
- 20:00 – Developing a course based on the podcast
- 20:45 – How Joe’s growing his business
- 23:50 – Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- In podcasting, great product is all about personality. Be someone who people want to interview.
- Start doing what you love. Don’t waste your life preparing to do something – do it.
- Your business goals don’t have to be all about growth. Decide what you want from your business and make that goal your priority.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives