In Episode #268 Nathan interviews Matt Shook, founder of JuiceLand: an organic juice business that’s taking over Austin. Listen to Matt and Nathan for insight into a bricks-and-mortar startup that’s becoming wildly successful.
- Favorite Book? – Prometheus Rising
- What CEO do you follow? — Tim League
- What is your favorite online tool? — Gmail
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be? —Don’t be so afraid of what other people think
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:20 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:36 – Welcoming Matt to the show
- 01:55 – Founded JuiceLand in 2011, after making juice for 8 years
- 02:33 – New location on 4th street sold 2000 drinks in one day
- 03:30 – Frost Tower downtown store has triple the sales of anywhere else
- 05:15 – In 2015, 275 employees at 16 locations
- 05:40 – Net margin of 5% across the company
- 06:40 – Makes about 40 cents on a $10 drink
- 08:20 – Business is all bootstrapped
- 05:25 – Retainer of $50-75k per month
- 08:30 – First shop was opened for $15k with a friend
- 08:55 – ‘I’ve never once looked at demographics’
- 09:20 – Hoping to have 20 stores by the end of the year
- 09:50 – Marketing through creating excellent product
- 11:25 – Connect with Matt on facebook and instagram
- 12:20 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Focus on creating a fantastic product. It’s the best and most lasting way to get customers.
- Don’t worry about what other people think. Focus on yourself and what you’re doing.
- Keep an open mind and connect with the people around you.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives