In Episode #281 Nathan interviews Lisa Song Sutton. Lisa’s a law school grad who launched Sin City Cupcakes, an alcoholic cupcake business based in Las Vegas. Lisa also runs a real estate company, writes, hosts a business talk show on COX, and was Miss Nevada in 2014. Listen as Nathan and Lisa talk running multiple businesses, the benefits of a talk show slot, and creating a food startup with 40% margins.
- Favorite Book? – A Shark Never Sleeps
- What CEO do you follow? — Mark Cuban
- Favourite online tool? — Dropbox
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— No
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— Just continue to be resilient
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:25 – Nathan’s introduction
- 02:34 – Welcoming Tim to the show
- 02:55 – Lisa had started her companies 2 years before entering the Miss Nevada pageant
- 03:25 – Real estate is currently the most profitable business
- 03:50 – Lisa owns a real estate company – Sutton & Chase
- 04:31 – Moved $7 million in sales over the last 11 months – made 6% of that in commissions
- 05:16 – “We have great repeat clients…over 90% of our business is referrals”
- 06:41 – Lisa’s second-best performing business is Sin City Cupcakes
- 07:00 – Met her business partner modelling – they launched the business in 2012
- 08:01 – Sin City Cupcakes made just under $1 million in revenue last year
- 08:40 – Made 8,000 cupcakes for a Google staff retreat
- 09:11 – Have just broken into a new market with 15,000 people in foot traffic each night
- 10:41 – Net margin around 40%
- 11:30 – Live With Lisa – a new business-focused talk show
- 13:30 – Paid a nominal fee, but main value is brand-building and access to commercials
- 14:20 – Connect with Lisa at her website, or on Twitter and Instagram
- 16:45 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Location is key. Lisa’s alcoholic cupcake business started in Florida…but blossomed when it moved to the capital of excess, Las Vegas.
- Be resilient. Life will take you to unexpected places – grab the opportunities you find.
- Put yourself out there. Your brand and your business will benefit from any public exposure you can find.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives