In Episode #321 Nathan interviews Laurie Lane-Zucker, founder and CEO of the Impact Entrepreneur Centre. Laurie’s created a network of 10,000 entrepreneurs who are chasing the triple bottom line: making a positive social and environmental impact as well as a profit. Listen in to hear how Laurie funds his dream to make a difference; why you need to expand your bottom-line thinking, and how to get started as an impact entrepreneur.
- Favorite Book? – The Way of the Wizard
- What CEO do you follow? — Elon Musk
- Favourite online tool? — Linkedin
- Do you get 8 hours of sleep?— Yes
- If you could let your 20 year old self know one thing, what would it be?— I wish I knew about entrepreneurship earlier. I wish I had the opportunities that millennials have now to pursue their own goals.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:10 – Nathan’s introduction
- 01:53 – Welcoming Laurie to the show
- 02:07 – An ‘Impact Entrepreneur’ is someone who wants to create companies that do good in the world, and to nurture a network and ecosystem that support these values
- 03:10 – Website is Impact Alchemist
- 03:40 – A ‘triple bottom line’ that considers social and environmental impact
- 04:21 – Over 10k members in the network right now
- 04:40 – Laurie makes money from consulting. He’s recently worked with water purification companies, nutrition research companies, and companies making biofuel from landfill
- 06:00 – “I gravitate to companies that are working on the UN development goals”
- 07:15 – Laurie often match-makes between companies and impact investors
- 08:05 – Takes a ‘success fee’ when they secure funding
- 09:20 – Currently creating an incubation and acceleration hub in the Berkshires
- 10:25 – Laurie generates revenue through speaking, consulting, and taking fees on securing funding
- 11:20 – “Look at the sustainable development goals of the United Nations – and see what strikes a chord with you”
- 12:20 – Connect with Laurie on Linkedin
- 13:52 – The Famous Five
3 Key Points:
- Chase the triple bottom line. You aren’t really adding value to the world unless you’re looking at your environmental and social impact as well as finances.
- There’s a lot to do in the world. Look at the UN’s sustainable development goals and see what strikes a chord with you.
- Make the most of all your opportunities
- Host Gator – The site Nathan uses to buy his domain names and hosting for cheapest price possible.
- Freshbooks – The site Nathan uses to manage his invoices and accounts.
- Leadpages – The drag and drop tool Nathan uses to quickly create his webinar landing pages which convert at 35%+
- Audible – Nathan uses Audible when he’s driving from Austin to San Antonio (1.5 hour drive) to listen to audio books.
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives